Question for the developers

Ask, comment, read.
Rola
First Lieutenant

Question for the developers

Unread postby Rola » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

Would you ever consider making a similiar game based on the first world war? Or even additional scenarios such as the western front?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Question for the developers

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Rola,

there's a bit on this subject in this chat that I had with "Rock Paper Shotgun" a while ago:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... valentine/

As for WWI, I'm not sure it would fit into this kind of system at all, but I must also say I don't know that much about the Great War so I might be wrong. But certainly WWII in the west is in our sights for the future, and WWI isn't.

Rola
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Rola » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks much Tomislav! :D

jeanhines
Newcomer

Unread postby jeanhines » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:51 am

wouldn't that be a bit boring? But if they can make an interesting plot about the game then maybe that's nice.

SeriousCatNZ
Cadet

Unread postby SeriousCatNZ » Mon May 20, 2013 3:23 am

jeanhines wrote:Wouldn't that be a bit boring?

Well, the first year would be exciting, because it's all about manoeuvre warfare. Entire armies constantly on the march trying to outflank and encircle one another.

After that it all goes downhill and combat devolves into the stalemate of trench warfare. Then you'll have to wait a few years for the introduction of the British tank combined with the new complementary infantry tactics.

HappyDaze
Captain

Unread postby HappyDaze » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:29 am

SeriousCatNZ wrote:
jeanhines wrote:Wouldn't that be a bit boring?

Well, the first year would be exciting, because it's all about manoeuvre warfare. Entire armies constantly on the march trying to outflank and encircle one another.

There was a fair amount of maneuvering in Rumania, Russia, and Northern Italy during the mid-to-late years. And of course as you note, the war on the Western Front opened up during the last year of the war. And the possibility existed that it might have done so sooner if the commanding generals had been a little more clear-sighted.

Happy

kashkin
First Lieutenant

Unread postby kashkin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 am

HappyDaze wrote:There was a fair amount of maneuvering in Rumania, Russia, and Northern Italy during the mid-to-late years. And of course as you note, the war on the Western Front opened up during the last year of the war. And the possibility existed that it might have done so sooner if the commanding generals had been a little more clear-sighted.

Happy

I agree. One could easily have scenarios based on invasion of Belgium and north east France, the Austrian breakthrough in Italy in 1917, the Palestine/Syria/Transjordan/that area campaign and the entire Eastern Front which was very fluid. Were it to be made, I think the dug in bonus would have to be increased.

HolyDeath
Captain

Unread postby HolyDeath » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 pm

After that it all goes downhill and combat devolves into the stalemate of trench warfare. Then you'll have to wait a few years for the introduction of the British tank combined with the new complementary infantry tactics.

Isn't that a waste to make a game play "the first year" and after that "have to wait a few years for the introduction of the British tank combined with the new complementary infatry tactics"? Why not skip this waiting period altogether when "it's all about manoeuvre warfare"? It sounds pretty much like World War II and Unity of Command... It'd take different approach to make the entirety of World War I more interesting, in such game even trench warfare should be important. Let's say we have the Battle of Verdun in a nutshell - managing your ammo, strength of units under your command, swapping tired units with fresh ones, maintaining your logistic lines... It'd be heavily focused on logistics tasks, but in a different way. Actual combat was half of the battle there.

kaiserbill
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby kaiserbill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Hi Rola,

there's a bit on this subject in this chat that I had with "Rock Paper Shotgun" a while ago:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07 ... valentine/

As for WWI, I'm not sure it would fit into this kind of system at all, but I must also say I don't know that much about the Great War so I might be wrong. But certainly WWII in the west is in our sights for the future, and WWI isn't.

Oh but this game engine would lend itself incredibly well to the Great War, so much more so than other games on account of the huge scale with 20km hexes and division sized assets as a base.

Additionally, despite what you may have read elsewhere the Great War wasn't all about a whistle blowing every morning at dawn followed by hundreds of thousands of men being machine-gunned to death. 1914 and 1918 were very different, and then there are the vast open spaces of the Eastern Front and other theatres mentioned elsewhere.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx