Possible request for History Mode

Ask, comment, read.
willgamer
Captain

Possible request for History Mode

Unread postby willgamer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I save a completed game.

Later I reload it in History Mode; the end of the game comes up.

If I want to replay from the beginning, I must click "back one turn (PgUp)" for twice the number of completed turns (one click per side/turn).

I don't see a 1-click way to jump to the start.

Am I missing something?

Or, if not, please add the ability to jump the the beginning with one click.

[Obviously, I often need this feature to show off my incredible victories to anyone who will listen and pets... ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ]

Spooner
Brigadier General

Re: Possible request for History Mode

Unread postby Spooner » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

I'd noticed the lack of a back one turn and jump to start/end buttons too. One problem would be that the save file contains full details of the final position and all the moves that have been made since the start of the game, so jumping all the way to the start could take a while, but at least it is a lot less hassle than pressing "back" a few dozen times :)

Speaking of which, it seems odd that just stepping back a single player's turn takes an inordinately long time since no animations are being played.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:34 pm

There are no technical barriers here, just that the usability needs to be sorted out.

I'm aware of the lack of ability to jump to beginning of game, it's perhaps the most glaring omission... :arrow: TODO

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Spooner wrote:stepping back a single player's turn takes an inordinately long time

The display engine knows how to do only two things: recreate complete game state; or play one action forward. So, going just one action back is the same as going any number of turns forward or back.

This will probably best be addressed, again, by tweaking the usability of history mode interface, e.g. offering the option to go 5 or 10 actions back or some other option like that.