Kudos

Ask, comment, read.
Gryphonrider
Captain

Kudos

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm

2x2 Games can be proud of Unity of Command, it's an true Indie-gem!
I haven't explored all modes of the game yet, only played the Tutorial, Introductory Scenario (Crimea), Voronezh and Race for Rostov scenarios.
Enjoyed every minute I played :D

Maybe I'm not such a good 'armchair general' afterall, haven't been able to achieve a Brilliant Victory yet..

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Kudos

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for the kudos! :)

I think it's actually a big part of the replayability of this game. Some commenters on the net are missing the mark, I think, when they're complaining about the limited number of scenarios. It should be hard for a new player to get brilliant victories straight away. It takes time to sharpen your skills and our experience with beta testers shows it took them a couple of weeks (easily) before they started winning regularly.

It is intended that each scenario be played multiple times. The point is in studying it, trying different angles and then hopefully understanding the operational issue at hand. Brilliant victories should then come with experience and time.

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Did manage to achieve a Decisive Victory on Voronezh, after several attempts :)

But generally, my troops aren't advancing fast enough to achieve more than a plain Victory.
At this moment, it's not clear to me what stops a 'winning streak' of a Tank or Infantry.
Can you give me some guidance?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't understand what you mean under "winning streak" precisely?

If you are referring to the fact that sometimes a unit can attack more than once, this is called an overrun.

If your unit attacks an enemy unit, and an overrun occurs, your unit may attack again in the same turn.

This will happen if the attacking unit is overwhelmingly stronger (high odds), but is never 100% assured. So even if you have a very strong unit against a bunch of weak ones, it is never assured that your unit will chew through them all in one turn.

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, I meant an overrun.
If there's no assurance regarding overruns, they can't be the main key to a Brilliant Victory.

I'll keep replaying to improve my stategy!
As soon as I'm a little better, I'll post a replay of one of the scenarios for the community to comment on.
Love to learn from elite players 8-)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:00 pm

If you can handle posting AARs even at this stage of learning the game (i.e. not embarrased you're not "elite" just yet), those may actually be more useful than the perfect ones.

I've seen enough of ComradeP thrashing my scenarios in his AARs thank you ;)

Seeing how players progress from ordinary to decisive to brilliant is really useful and hopefully we made best possible use of this during the beta. But there are still "bumps" in the learning curve and these "imperfect" AARs help identify them.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:42 am

Gryphonrider wrote:Yes, I meant an overrun.
If there's no assurance regarding overruns, they can't be the main key to a Brilliant Victory.

The shorter the scenario, the more reliance a brilliant victory has on good rolls (particularly retreats and overruns), but there is always randomness involved since 'brilliant' really does mean perfect play tied with at least good luck (the luck element being more or less important based on the scenario).

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:07 am

Well luck is more importan with the Soviets than with the Germans i feel. Then again, i've got a lot more brilliant soviet victories than german ones :P

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:If you can handle posting AARs even at this stage of learning the game (i.e. not embarrased you're not "elite" just yet), those may actually be more useful than the perfect ones.

Encouraged by your invitation, I've decided to post my best result yet, achieved this evening, a Decisive Victory on Race for Rostov.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:05 am

Yeah, I've taken a look... there's so much good stuff in the replies already (thx Spooner, will!) :)

A note to everyone is that you don't need to be a "champion" to post. Please keep them coming.