Air attack 'modifiers' counter-intuitive.

Steam Testing Branch.
Shimbo
Colonel

Air attack 'modifiers' counter-intuitive.

Unread postby Shimbo » Fri May 01, 2020 8:48 am

When you have a B26 air strike available the display is IMO counter-intuitive.

I seems to show either a nothing or 1, 2, or 3

This certainly looks to me like the expected casualties of the air-strike e.g. no steps, 1,2 or 3 steps are likely to be destroyed by the attack.

But, unless I'm mistaken, it's actually a 'how tough it will be to attack this target modifier' and the most damage will be caused to a unit with no number displayed and the least to a number 3.

This is the opposite of the usual 'probably casualties' display and so counter-intuitive. Surely it would make sense to show predicted casualties as for other attacks?

Apart from that, and the Eagle's Nest bug I already posted, I've played through the new scenarios and not noticed any issues. Many of the issues I raised in the initial beta-test are resolved and I love the new alternate history scenarios.

So, congratulations, This is a great game! :-)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Air attack 'modifiers' counter-intuitive.

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri May 01, 2020 10:31 am

Shimbo wrote:I seems to show either a nothing or 1, 2, or 3

The display in fact shows -3, -2, -1 or +1. This is the air attack shift (analogous to combat shifts) and the combat tables for it are given in the manual, section 3.9. "Theater Assets".

I appreciate how this maybe isn't super intuitive, but air attack outcomes are such that they are not easy to predict.

We'll be looking into the Eagle's Nest thing, thanks for reporting! :)

Cheers!