UoC price & availability

Ask, comment, read.
No0dle
Cadet

UoC price & availability

Unread postby No0dle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi,

since direct contact with the devs is one of the big advantages of the indie scene, I'd like to ask some questions concerning the price and the availability of UoC. I do not own Unity of Command (yet), but I have played the whole demo and I have watched some Youtube videos of it.
I'd like to annotate that I've read through some forum topics and that I know that UoC has been offered for a 40% discount in the past and that the game will be released on Steam and that there are an expansion and a scenario editor in progress.

Availability:
What is the status of the Steam release? Can we expect UoC to be released on Steam before autumn and is there anything else can we expect (a price drop or additional content/a new patch to celebrate the Steam release?).

Price:
The main reason why I haven't bought UoC yet is the price to be honest. With all respect, but in my opinion 30 euros is too expensive for what UoC has to offer, especially content-wise. I don't know if there will be more content added to the game for free in the future, but for an indie game with that little content and no scenario editor (yet), the price is simply to high for my understanding. Frozen Synapse e.g. is considered to be quite expensive for an indie game and it's cheaper than UoC and has much more content to offer. I own quite a bunch of indie games and I am also willing to pay more to support independent devlopers, but UoC simply has not enough to offer to justify the price. I don't know if you guys have a contract with a publisher who sets the price, but the game has been out for almost a year and I think it's time to drop the price to 10-15 euros to adress more players so your expansion/sequel will have a larger base of potential buyers and to spread the word about UoC (I have only heard of this game, because someone posted a link to the Golden Joystick awards on the Crusader Kings II forums). I will buy UoC as soon as it costs less than 15 euros.

Thanks for your time and for your courage to create such a niche game in the era of arcade/mobile/console games and congratulations on your success.

No0dle

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: UoC price & availability

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi No0dle,

obviously I'd like to get the game on Steam as soon as possible. It really depends on them - which release date we'll get - but I suspect in less than a month or so.

We're mostly working on the expansion right now (so new content, yeah), but we will have updates to the core game too. This will all happen during the fall, but I can't give away much in terms of dates because everything can change based on the Steam release date.

If it's just the price that's bothering you I suggest subscribing to our mailing list or following us on twitter (@unityofcommand). We had discounts several times already, and we announce them in this way.

You can also wait for the Steam release - we started of as a "niche" wargame and $30 is not unreasonable there. Obviously getting the game on Steam and in the mainstream will enable us to lower the price somewhat, yeah.

Cheers!

No0dle
Cadet

Re: UoC price & availability

Unread postby No0dle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for your response and of course I'll subscribe to your mailing list :)
I hope that the new content and the steam release in combination with a price drop will bring UoC the attention it deserves.

Cheers,

No0dle