First Impressions

Ask, comment, read.
uran21
2x2 Games

Re: First Impressions

Unread postby uran21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm

What I appreciate in scenarios is how much variety is pulled from various situations regarding supply.

Theater Assets are so cool, they allow new options on the map and very often include decision making where and when something to use.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Stalingrad is an example of scenario where achieving Brilliant Victory takes some practice but it is not dependent on the random factor. Although it highlights AIs inability to recapture supply sources and makes his own connection again. If northern supply, near Volga, is captured where Soviet deployment is located reinforcements will spawn across the river and instead of just crossing the river to recapture supply and then head south down the railroad they tend to stay on the other side of the river and do not contribute to final battles much.

I have heard someone did it in 2 turns, have to watch that!

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:55 am

Most games that I am used to have Zone of Control all around units which makes it rather straightforward. UoC projects ZOC around units only on their owned territory which makes ZOC variable during a turn.

It took some time before I got used to it but I like it so much! It gives another dimension of dynamics to the game.

It is the reason why Stalingrad in 2 turns is possible. I watched the video and decided to try it out. Did it in 3 turns out of second attempt. Don’t plan to do it any faster, sheer experience of this approach was enough reward for me.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:41 am

Increasing suppression as a trade off for overrun attacks is an excellent idea and something to watch at. For example if I am sure my tank will stay out of supply next turn it will not be able to recover suppressed steps. Something to think about if tank is tasked to operate behind enemy lines for limited time.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 am

Terek besides having low turn count (as many scenarios do) also has small number of troops. This makes for low investment in time for single playthrough. Easy to start and fast to finish scenario. Name is well chosen considering Terek River is dominant geographical feature in it and many solutions lie on bridge building across it.

My first attempt was Decisive Victory and in subsequent attempts I got all kind of results including loss. Brilliant Victory was achieved at 15th attempt and it left me wanting for more!

Probably trying to destroy all Soviet units and achieving Victory would be good personal goal in stand alone scenario mode.

Sure, randomness can spoil the fun sometimes. Especially bad weather at opening moves which was an instant reload (counted as attempt). But in general I had a feeling it requires more skill involved.

The reason why I liked this scenario very much is because it has several approaches to it (which is kind of ironic considering map size and unit count). Process of learning, revealing and trying new approaches was what generated FUN for me. :D

Some points to note: Ability to capture Ordzhonikidze before it is occupied by Soviet troops, using westernmost bridge, cutting Soviet troops of supply on all three points, easternmost bridge as fastest route to last objective, avoiding fighting in non objective towns, operating out of supply for limited time, using two central bridges for vertical communication line, prolonging supply as far as they can get with Grozny in Soviet hands. Revealing and attempting all this was really fun. At certain instances I forgot about AI capabilities and was cut off supply myself. Number of units is low and still they should operate in two groups. What to assign where!?

My solution consisted tactics of manipulating AI. One tank and 2x German infantry on the west supported by Romanian infantry (nice touch to make it veteran) and two tanks on the east. I would allow AI to cross the river at west by pulling my units and on the east destroy cavalry, build bridge and positioned my two tanks so AI would cross the river to position itself adjacent to them. Lots of overrun followed and tanks returned to supplied area. Most of Soviet units were destroyed by tanks in the open and while strategic points were guarded its surrounding support was destroyed away from it. Tanks on the east would extend their movement and destroyed NKVD infantry in two hits on next turn and enter town being out of supply by then. Eastern group used zone of control rule to its advantage and positioned itself adjacent to Georgian Road before final attacks followed. Veteran and T-34 supported infantries in Grozny and Ordzhonikidze were bypassed not to generate loses.

Now I have to look other people’s approach to it. 8-)

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:36 am

I must admit how Manual was neglected for some time. Resumed reading now. Was not aware how Enroute is actually a button! Changed state when hovered would help increase user experience in here. I thought it only provides tooltip information. For the reasons of experiment I reorganized ALL units on the Terek map and can say enroute button is very informative about step arrivals. After ending turn ,just for fun, Soviets changed positions, captured my supply and obviously I could not return reorganized steps because there was no Axis unit on the map but game continues anyway...

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 am

Yup, It was great fun trying to destroy all Soviet troops in Terek scenario!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Doing Astrakhan in 6 turns is not a problem but getting Brilliant Victory in 5 turns involves some battle avoiding until city is reached by two units that get air drop supply every second turn each. I did it in 4 turns but my front near Stalingrad colapsed and all other units stayed out of supply. It felt intense but for reaching objective only two units and air drop supply are enough. This scenario has defensive/offensive twist.

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:56 pm

I tried Astrakhan in stand alone scenario mode three more times. Once did it in 5 turns, once missed Brilliant for a turn due to combat results and last time did it in 4 turns as well. This means scenario is not so much dependent on randomnes.

But there is gameplay error in it. In those attempts I only used one tank and motorized infantry with Air Supply asset. All other aspects of scenario and all other units were neglected, not used at all because... they do not matter. :(

uran21
2x2 Games

Unread postby uran21 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Kuibyshev scenario provided me with many options to try. One was brute force approach with clearing all map of Soviet units in 17 turns. Second one was rushing 2 motorized units to capture enemy supply but I didn’t had a feeling they could do it in time and those units were missed in combat. Third approach was to advance along rail line and keep 2 mobile units outflanking. This approach led me to timely capture of Saratov (first objective) but second one was missed by a turn. In later stages it is essential to secure long supply tail from partisans by having Romanian troops in a long “chain” along the rail line.