2x2 Games

Re: Any news on the expansion?

Unread postby Danielefc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Sooooo.... Any news? Been a while :)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 am

Hey Daniel, we're actually very far along with this expansion. Being an indie though, I don't have as much time as I'd like to for blogging, tweeting etc. about it. ;)

Here is a screen of one of the new scenarios. This is me invading Romania (or rather, it's the second Soviet attempt to do so) and you can see that while I have the German 8th Army neatly pinned to the Carpathians, I haven't quite managed to encircle the 6th Army.

screen.jpg

Well, practice makes perfect. Note that we're still using old (1942/43) icons here as placeholders. It's one of the reasons why I've held out on posting screens thus far. But between the map, the weather engine and most scenarios already done, the expansion is actually coming along nicely. 8-)

Cheers,

Tomislav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am

Will there be scenarios where you get Romanian units on the Soviet side?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 am

RambOrc wrote:Will there be scenarios where you get Romanian units on the Soviet side?

Yes, this scenario is the last time the Romanians are a part of the Axis, from I think, Debrecen onwards you get "Soviet" Romanian units.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Sounds great - cant wait to see what you've come up with :)

Fun fact: That river "Prut" which is an objective... Prut means fart in danish... (Yes im childish ;))

adin
Major

Unread postby adin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm

In which form you will release add-on? As a free add-on for UoC:SC owners?
greetings!

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:35 am

adin wrote:In which form you will release add-on? As a free add-on for UoC:SC owners?

The expansion will not be free.
Wouldn't be fair considering the effort put in developing it..

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Gryphonrider wrote:
adin wrote:In which form you will release add-on? As a free add-on for UoC:SC owners?

The expansion will not be free.
Wouldn't be fair considering the effort put in developing it..

Yes, it won't be free. But it won't be pricey either - it will have more scenarios than the original game and sell for considerably less. Should be a good deal for everyone. :)

kai
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby kai » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Just checking on this thread so a bit late but thanks for the screen.
I understand you have a lot of the campaign done already but I still want to tell you what I would most love to see in a new campaign...

- losses being important: World War 2 especially on the Eastern Front was always first and foremost a war of attrition, both equipment and men... in Unity of Command I can waste all my elite divisions just to take a single objective and I am not punished for it. On the other hand when I am preserving units I am not rewarded either. I guess you wanted to keep the game simple, and that definitely is one of the things that make it so great, but still... this component seems very missing..

- time too short: I think longer maps would be better - not larger in scale, simply more rounds. Especially the maps that take only 3 rounds or so are so EXTREMELY trial and error and luck based.. I find it hard to enjoy them when I have bad luck (for an actual example, in the second German scenario when you get lots of overruns with your Panzers you win; if you have bad luck and a 90 % overrun chance nets no overrun it's impossible to get a brilliant victory anymore). Longer scenarios would also pretty much invalidate my first complaint because when you actually need your infantry after the first two rounds (in many scenario its useless after that because it cant keep up with the tanks to take the objectives) you wouldn't want to waste it

- there is no link between the scenarios + stupid progression system: the progression system made me so angry because it just is no fun to have to replay a scenario a bazillion times to get a brilliant victory just because I don't want to miss out on any branches of the campaign :evil: ... the follow up suggestion would be very simple - transfer experience of surviving units to the next scenario. So if I would waste all my infantry I'd have standard experience, if I keep them alive and slowly level up experience I could improve them. adds progression to the campaign, makes players more cautious with their units, isn't a major game change that could make the game too complicated. the level up system felt very out-of-place in the game to be honest because I levelled up maybe 2 times and since the scenarios are so short it doesn't really matter anyway.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm

@kai: all valid suggestions. Please though, use the suggestions thread in the future, it's the easiest way for me to keep track of them.

I do read all and consider many suggestions from that thread for future iterations of the game. Note however, that the Soviet expansion currently in the works will only feature perhaps half dozen quick-fix rule changes, but nothing revolutionary at this time.