Brilliant Game - Thankyou...

Ask, comment, read.
floogles
Second Lieutenant

Brilliant Game - Thankyou...

Unread postby floogles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 pm

First of all - thankyou so much for this beautiful game!

I searched for the last week for something to play in the lines of turn-based strategy, and finally, last night, I discover UOC on metacritic, have a look some youtube footage, and within 5 seconds I knew I would buy this and love it.

What is great about UOC:
- the look and feel of the whole interface is slick, beautiful and charming. Somehow all the relevant infomation is there, but not obtrusive and overloading. The style reminds me of Ring of Red which I didn't find in any other game until UOC.
- The music together with the interface creates a perfect reflective atmosphere - meditative and engaging at the same time (reminds me Master of Orion 2) and lets the complexity wash over without being overwhelming.
- It is made by just two of you!!?!??? This is awesome, and congratulations on successfully bringing such a huge project into being.
- Somehow, even though it is difficult, it is not frustrating. I want to learn and replay to see what works. UOC passes the "but is it FUN?" test perfectly.

There is lots more that is great, but other people have said it better in reviews and here on the forum so I won't waste any more space.

Congrats!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Brilliant Game - Thankyou...

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:46 am

floogles wrote:It is made by just two of you!!?!???

Well, it's more 2+2... Nenad and I did most of it, but then we added Ante (AI) and Bruno (sound) once we realized the game is shaping up well.

Glad you liked it! :)

floogles
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby floogles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am

Okay - now I get what the 2+2 means thanks.

But it doesn't matter if 2 people built a pyramid, or 4 people built it...

it's still insane! ;)

Kudos to all of you for the extreme dedication you must have needed to pull this off.

Don Smith
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Don Smith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Just picked this up yesterday and it is indeed a brilliant game!

I hope it catches on and makes you guys enough money to take the system to other parts of WWII and beyond.

Sure, there are things which could be made a little slicker, but this is a VERY good system and well implemented.

Happy to pay the $30 (missed the sale!).

Keep up the good work...

mmihai352
Cadet

Unread postby mmihai352 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm

I've been playing for about a week now. Love the game.

I'm also looking forward to seeing it extended
Don Smith wrote:to other parts of WWII and beyond.

Cheers

Clx-
Captain

Unread postby Clx- » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Absolutely brilliant game. It's nearly perfect. I had a dream last night where someone released a game that was some kind of cross between UOC and Hearts of Iron III - I think that means I played a bit too much UOC yesterday!

Like the others, looking forward to more.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed May 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks for the kudos Clx!

Clx- wrote:...a game that was some kind of cross between UOC and Hearts of Iron III

I do get ideas about a grand strategy game from time to time... the hardest thing would be neither designing it, nor writing the code, but balancing the monster. At least if you want it to play out reasonably historically as UoC does. :?

OTOH if you don't mind getting completely crazy outcomes (like Soviets invading Portugal or whatever), you can just drop a bunch of units on the board and hope for the best. Actually that didn't sound so bad, maybe we should do it :D

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm

I remember a board game from some 20 years ago that was similar to Axis & Allies, Europe only, but with a lot of small extra rules (like German tanks only being able to attack once per turn if Ploesti was captured by the Allies and the same for Soviet tanks if Grozny was captured, Vichy-Government automatically establishing a new state if Germans captured Paris, Germany only being allowed to have 2 or 3 units in Africa, if you wanted a big invasion you had to send some German tanks and use a lot of Italian infantry to fill the gap, etc).

Eyegor
Newcomer

Unread postby Eyegor » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:46 pm

I'd also like to add my appreciation. In these days when most games look for 27 gigs of hard drive space, I can only shake my head in wonder at how you guys have packed so much compelling, beautiful looking, entertainment into a size that other developers would reserve for their self-congratulatory credits ;)

I've been gaming for some 35 years now, and UoC is transporting me back to those early days of sheer magic. Thanks for making me feel young again!

mass09
Cadet

Unread postby mass09 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks for the great game. Played the demo a bit and purchased the full game just now.

I'll recommend it to everyone I know.