Brilliant Game - Thankyou...

Ask, comment, read.
Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Brilliant Game - Thankyou...

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:33 pm

@Tomislav: Well with the Monster AI you have, a soviet invasion of Portugal would be interesting to say the least :P But it would be a product i'd buy :D

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Imperial Dane wrote:@Tomislav: Well with the Monster AI you have, a soviet invasion of Portugal would be interesting to say the least :P But it would be a product i'd buy :D

Haha, thanks... well, I don't like it when the outcome is a complete fantasy. Sure, it's a wargame and you play so you try out different things but if you allow totally crazy stuff then you learn nothing of history IMO. In fact, I think the "Kuibyshev" scenario in UoC is about as far as I'm comfortable going with a what-if scenario.

That said, in a true "grand strategy" game, the outcome would be much less constrained so maybe even Portugal is possible. But it has to come about in some plausible way, which again, is why such a game would be a monster to balance.

Clx-
Captain

Unread postby Clx- » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Just wanted to say... over a year later I'm still enjoying this game so much. I really hope you guys keep adding more and more expansions and content. Truly one of the best strategy gaming experiences I can remember. 'Panzer Corps just isn't fun for me since UOC took over. I have recommended it to all my friends. The tactics and AI just play so well.... and the game looks great too.

I haven't tried the scenario editor yet but I'm looking forward to it - love how much scope there is for our imagination with the big map you've left us with after Red Turn.

Thank you!

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 am

Clx- wrote:'Panzer Corps just isn't fun for me since UOC took over.

Absolutely! Tried to get back into Panzer Corps the last months (because I got all the expansions, but I want to finish the main game first, am locked in some scenarios though), it just feels a lot more static than UoC (because it's largely copying Panzer General 1 which was much more static than PG 2), and the supply system makes UoC feel much more realistic than Panzer Corps.

HolyDeath
Captain

Unread postby HolyDeath » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm

I searched for the last week for something to play in the lines of turn-based strategy, and finally, last night, I discover UOC on metacritic, have a look some youtube footage, and within 5 seconds I knew I would buy this and love it.

I too saw this on metacritic, but only Steam sales encouraged me to find out more about it. If not for the demo I'd have skipped it as I had Eador: Masters of the Broken World from the same sales too. I am glad there was a demo, because I fell in love with this game because of it. Graphics alone aren't good enough to show how deep this game is.

- Somehow, even though it is difficult, it is not frustrating. I want to learn and replay to see what works. UOC passes the "but is it FUN?" test perfectly.

I find that the game has great replayability value - you'd think that fixed scenarios would quickly become predictable and repetetive in a bad way. Thanks to some random factors (like outcomes and weather) this is not the case. Moves and turns go by one by one, it's really addicting, kind of "just another turn" syndrome. In a positive way. I tested the demo and was even playing against myself. This was very interesting experience, after that I told myself: "I am getting this!". I got both the game and expansion. I wish I had known about it sooner...

That said the UI is great, graphics are very nice (they learn to see their charm once you play for a while) and functional. The only thing I don't understand is how campaigns were made: to unlock some you have to achieve certain results and if you want to change sides (from Axis to Soviet or vice versa) you reset your campaign. I can play scenarios and I can understand that making some scenarios unlockable by getting better results is incouraging to use your Prestige and Reserves you gain through the campaign, but why campaigns reset...?

I heard you want to develop Unity of Command 2 (not sure how true this heresay is though) another title and I must say that your next game will be one of a few I am going to wait to see/play (Armageddon and East vs West are on the list for year 2014). I kind of missed the ability to see the whole Eastern Front (like from Berlin to Moscov) or even more (the World War!), but given how Unit of Command was handled I trust that another game of yours will be as awesome as this is.

As a guy who loves strategies and as a player I can't thank you enough for this wargaming masterpiece and I rarely have so many good words to say, which says something.