Suggestions Thread

Ask, comment, read.
spillblood
Major General

Re: Suggestions Thread

Unread postby spillblood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm

More PvP maps, please! The game still hasn't got enough of those. Got to try out PvP with my brother some days ago, and it's pretty fun. Needs more maps though. It'd be great if some more single PvP scenarios could be included in the next patches. What about the Winter Tempest scenario mentioned before by Tomislav, for example?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=658&p=2973&hilit=winter+tempest#p2767
Another thing: Please add some dedicated Volkssturm/Volksgrenadiere 3D model, these big "VG" letters partly cover up the symbols beneath the units, which isn't good, because they are pretty important.
And what about the winter models for tanks mentioned elsewhere:
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/1 ... a-website/
They look too cool to be left out.

mtaylor
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby mtaylor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I want to see a continuous campaign where the results of one scenario inform the start of the next.

It is unsatisfying to in one scenario achieve a decisive or brilliant victory and in route to this capture important river crossings, build bridges and such, then in the next scenario find yourself starting on the wrong side of that river with the bridge unbuilt and the enemy dug in.

It is similarly frustrating to see a unit that was eliminated (in some scenarios I have eliminated 90% of the enemy) full strength and dug in waiting for me.

I also want the challenge of having to be concerned with my own losses. As it stands now, as long as I achieve the objectives on time my own casualties are irrelevant. If we could add a condition such as maintain a certain loss ratio while achieving the objectives that problem would be eliminated.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 pm

mtaylor wrote:I want to see a continuous campaign where the results of one scenario inform the start of the next.

It is unsatisfying to in one scenario achieve a decisive or brilliant victory and in route to this capture important river crossings, build bridges and such, then in the next scenario find yourself starting on the wrong side of that river with the bridge unbuilt and the enemy dug in.

It is similarly frustrating to see a unit that was eliminated (in some scenarios I have eliminated 90% of the enemy) full strength and dug in waiting for me.

I also want the challenge of having to be concerned with my own losses. As it stands now, as long as I achieve the objectives on time my own casualties are irrelevant. If we could add a condition such as maintain a certain loss ratio while achieving the objectives that problem would be eliminated.

Yeah, since all battles take place on the same map, a continous campaign where units are carried over would be awesome! The campaign should still be split up in those scenarios, but a consistent map where those scenarios are linked and troops would carry over would elevate the game to a whole new level.

HansRoth1
Cadet

Unread postby HansRoth1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:37 am

Sounds get a little annoying after a while, especially when the A1 movements are moving at s rapid rate..

Could there be 'historical' sounds, with tanks 'rumbling', and just 'genuine' sounds of troops moving, without the echo like double noise, that there is now??
and, as someone else has suggested, the music would be better in a military sense... After all, there is great German military music of that period, as well as Russian..It would really give a 'true', feel to the program.

How about a little actual battle movie, at various points during battle/movements ??

Otherwise, I TRULY LOVE THIS PROGRAM... You have really hit upon a winner here... No comparison to 'Panzer General'.... This is way ahead of that, or any other similar program...

Well done....

Hans...

HansRoth1
Cadet

Unread postby HansRoth1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 am

How about making an equal amount of Axis, playable in 'Red Turn' Unity of Command ??

I want to play on the Axis side, and not the Russian, during these battles..No disrespect for the Russian's, I hasten to add, it is just I would like to keep my game play consistent with the side that I have selected...

Thank You.... Hans.. :?

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am

HansRoth1 wrote:Sounds get a little annoying after a while, especially when the A1 movements are moving at s rapid rate..

Could there be 'historical' sounds, with tanks 'rumbling', and just 'genuine' sounds of troops moving, without the echo like double noise, that there is now??

Great idea, I second that. Wanted to suggest better sounds myself, marching and tank movements sound pretty unrealistic and relatively annoying. Actual battle sounds would be nice! But I think the explosion sounds are absolutely alright, it's nice that you get different explosion sounds for different amounts of damage. I'd keep them, but the marching and tank sounds could be improved.

HansRoth1 wrote:How about a little actual battle movie, at various points during battle/movements ??

This could interrupt the flow of gameplay, but as an option it could be pretty cool. In the old Panzer General those combat animations got annoying after a while. They slowed down gameplay considerably, so I mostly turned them off. Cutscenes with war footage in the briefings and the victory/loss screen would be great though! Those were missing in Panzer Corps, for example (in comparison to the old Panzer General games). They added a lot of atmosphere. There's a lot of public domain material available that could be used for that, for example on archive.org (there are some WW II American propaganda movies available there, and some of them contain Eastern Front footage).
HansRoth1 wrote:after all, there is great German military music of that period, as well as Russian..It would really give a 'true', feel to the program.

The music is alright, but some more different music pieces would be good. I always turn it off after a while and play something in a player.
HansRoth1 wrote:I want to play on the Axis side, and not the Russian, during these battles..No disrespect for the Russian's, I hasten to add, it is just I would like to keep my game play consistent with the side that I have selected...

Try out the Community scenarios, there are some really cool Axis scenarios available there:
viewforum.php?f=52
I guess Axis play simply wouldn't work in Red Turn, because the Germans were on the defensive in this period, and the AI is programmed for defense, there are no scenarios yet where you must defend. Guess the developers would have to modify the engine for that.

Peggle20
Cadet

Unread postby Peggle20 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey, I recently noticed that the map images for Stalino and for Izium are the same little town graphic. It's not too visible when they're occupied or when one is under snow, but once you see it, I dare you to unsee it. Would it be possible to go back and replace one of the town images with a different one to keep things from looking samey? Thanks, and cheers for a fun wargame.

http://i.imgur.com/eB1BO.jpg

mtaylor
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby mtaylor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm

After playing this game awhile my number one suggestion is to fix the AI. All to often all the AI does in retreat back to the various objective hexes as fast as possible, with no regard for control of territory. This combined with the lack of any persistent effect between scenarios in a campaign (beyond prestige) creates stupid situations. Case in point, in various scenarios where the goal is to take control of the approaches to a city, or to cut off supply to a city, the AI will ignore threats to the actual city. I have as the Russians taken Kiev and Stalingrad, then of course in the next scenario there they are in enemy hands.

There is also the problem of where the AI will suicide some of its best mobile units to break through my lines and interrupt supply. Those units are absolutely dead in a turn or two, but yes, they might cut down on my prestige gain. Those units in any "real" situation would not be a sacrifice worth making.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 am

mtaylor wrote:After playing this game awhile my number one suggestion is to fix the AI. All to often all the AI does in retreat back to the various objective hexes as fast as possible, with no regard for control of territory.

That's a bit like the AI behavior in Panzer Corps. There, the AI just built "blobs" of units around objectives which made it a real pain to take them. It should be programmed to take natural obstacles into account, IE rivers or chokepoints created by impassable terrain, and build new defense lines there instead of retreating all the way back to the objectives. That would make the AI a much more challenging opponent.
mtaylor wrote:There is also the problem of where the AI will suicide some of its best mobile units to break through my lines and interrupt supply. Those units are absolutely dead in a turn or two, but yes, they might cut down on my prestige gain. Those units in any "real" situation would not be a sacrifice worth making.

I agree, those things have already been mentioned in other threads. Maybe it would be possible to improve the AI by creating more kinds of AI hints. The AI really is programmed to just try to break your supply lines without regard for possible losses. The other big problem is that it tries to cut your supply lines, but doesn't protect it's own supply sources. If you capture an enemy supply source, the AI won't try to take it back.

ichadwick
First Lieutenant

Unread postby ichadwick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

How about an option to continue playing after all objectives have been captured? And a wrap-up screen when they are captured that says how many units killed on each side.
Ian
The life so short, the craft so long to learn...
Chaucer, The Parliament of Fowles