The game will be released on steam ?

Acid6Triq

Gryphonrider
Captain

Re: Steam ?

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 am

Welcome to UoC Forums!

This question was answered before by developer Tomislav Uzelac in this post:
'Obviously, we'll go on Steam if they'll take us, but that's never a sure thing for indies.'

Should UoC become available through Steam, I hope existing players (customers) will get a free Steam-key..

Acid6Triq
Cadet

Unread postby Acid6Triq » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Thank you for response,

Sorry, i don't read the welcome post :( (Yellow card for my first post :oops:)

If i was sure that existing customers will get a free Steam-key, i won't wait the steam version.

Acid6Triq

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I will apply with Steam again but there's no guarantee they'll take us.

I'm not sure how it works with activating the Steam keys... I would not be against it of course :)

jojopuppe
Newcomer

Unread postby jojopuppe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:14 am

hi,

are there any news about a steam release???

imPsimon
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby imPsimon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Another option might be the "Humble Indie Bundle".
http://www.humblebundle.com/
Current bundle have sold over 400 000 copies and generated almost 2,5 million dollars.

Have you (Tomislav) checked this option?

Gryphonrider
Captain

Unread postby Gryphonrider » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Being part of a Humble Bundle would be a great to draw attention to the game, but buyers can decide how to divide their gift between charity, developers and Humble (for bandwidth etc.)
This means that revenues for developers are hard to predict (there's a default split, though).
Maybe Indie Royale would be a better alternative; with Indie Royale, all revenues go to the developers.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Our first priority is to make the game available through as many channels as possible (Steam if possible, but also others) and I am working on that. Things have been kind of slow though in the past weeks, I guess a lot of people are on holidays.

I hear conflicting things from developers about the bundles. Obviously they've been a good thing in terms of generating publicity and revenue for the devs, but there's also been critical voices.

imPsimon
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby imPsimon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Our first priority is to make the game available through as many channels as possible (Steam if possible, but also others) and I am working on that. Things have been kind of slow though in the past weeks, I guess a lot of people are on holidays.

I hear conflicting things from developers about the bundles. Obviously they've been a good thing in terms of generating publicity and revenue for the devs, but there's also been critical voices.

So I read the article and it do pose some philosophical points.
However, I still hope that your game becomes availible at a cheaper price somehow. 29dollars will only really make the game interessting to
a small niche market.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Certainly $30 will not be too popular outside the wargaming niche, but I think it depends more whether they plan to keep it at that price forever (as Matrix Games games often do) or whether they plan to put it on sale, discount it over time and/or offer it in expansion bundles (e.g. if they release a new campaign for $15 and, at the same time, offer the original game + expansion for $30 total) like more mainstream games do. Bit early in the day to be making pronouncements based within a couple of months of release without any idea of where they are going.

The bundle thing is not entirely relevant, since the games being sold that way are often old games (UoC is very new) or very shallow or in alpha or just plain not terribly good - it is certainly a good way to generate revenue, but only when more regular sales methods aren't going to work well for you. As people are realising, just because a bundle created a million+ in revenue, that doesn't mean the individual devs are getting rich (or, more correctly, they aren't getting richer than they would have done by selling using other methods)! Just because this is an indie game doesn't mean that it has to use the indie-bundle sales method.

Just my two-penny's worth.