Ideas for fixing the Stalingrad BV problem?

Ask, comment, read.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Ideas for fixing the Stalingrad BV problem?

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon May 28, 2012 6:29 pm

@six: I posted a reply to your question about the FBB in the Gallop/Star thread in the scenarios forum. Cheers!

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:45 pm

For those still struggling with a Stalingrad BV, attached a savegame with a 7 turn BV (where the 7th turn consists of a single attack only to capture the second half of the city), this time without supply cutting tricks and once again not using the elite panzer unit from OKH reservers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rola
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Rola » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

Guys where do I put this file? I have tried dropping it in campaign folder to no avail it just says "windows cant open this file" : (

puren00bage
Newcomer

Unread postby puren00bage » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:39 pm

YES please a easy mode ...im still playing axis and allies from what 1999 lol and iron storm on my saturn ive tried may other hex games adn find them way too hard ..easy mode ftw thank you ..like the game btw cant get past the second senerio and that too is supose to b easy

Tainted Reign
Newcomer

Unread postby Tainted Reign » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:35 am

An easy mode would be nice, especially for after you just miss a BV or DV by one turn, or even merely one attack, and you want to just chuck your monitor out the window. Then you could jump into the easy mode to vent on the enemy... instead of your PC. That said, a Stalingrad BV is entirely doable, on my... third play of the Axis campaign and just did it on turn 6. so, yeah, entirely manageable.

@puren00bage, I assume you're talking about Vorenehz. Use your Stukas to soften up the enemy for a breakthrough attempt. I aimed for driving down the rails in the north, and across the bridge in the south. Motorized, mechanized, and armor are your spearhead, try to keep them moving forward, not backwards - and use your infantry to protect the supply lines and flanks from counter attacks(Protect that rail line). Simultaneous assaults towards each objective. I belive I missed the BV by one or two attacks.... and therefore had to wait a turn to finish up the city in the north.

prase
Newcomer

Unread postby prase » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I achieved Stalingrad BV in turn 6, and was in reality surprised by how easy it turned out to be.

So, the idea is to ignore north and just fortify it. Extend supplies through your north and south as needed (I started from north). It's ok to have your units push out to lose supply for one turn, but make sure to return them into supply the next turn to remain useful (except if they are infantry which is expendable and which is crucial for holding a line).

So, the first turn is crucial. I knock out the Katyusha infantry on the south and use the break to create a pocket of most of the south-west Soviet flank. I use most of the south units to create the line for the cutoff, but in all except a single point it is only 1 unit wide. In the center battlefield, I focus on the two Soviet tanks holding the central south river crossing. If in any way possible, I try to knock out the bridge-holding tank (or make it retreat) so that I can get control over the entire bridge. I also focus on getting as far into the central-northern bridge too, to create pressure. As regards the west-central Soviet army, I just focus on keeping it away from supplies and from breaking into my supply chain.

If you succeed in the two breakthroughs (south and central), you will have two large Soviet armies out of supply and win easily, like I did.

Which shows some problems with the AI. By all counts, the southwest AI should have attacked my tenuous supply chain cutoff with its numerous units. It did not, the southwest units were just standing there doing literally nothing. In one of my attempts, the kv2 Soviet tank nuked one of my southern units and broke the cutoff, but in another try, when I made a good advance on the north-central bridge, the kv2 unit went north to reinforce that bridge (which might conceivably make sense in terms of tactics).

There is also a huge role for luck overall in the game, as all it takes is two unsuccessful aircraft strikes in the first Stalingrad turn to make BV literally impossible (no breakthrough, enemy repositions for better defense, game over).

PS. Several tips:
- use the space bar to extend the range of your units - needed for breakthroughs
- use expendable units to eat away at enemy's zone of control - also needed for breakthroughs
- make sure to add recon to strong units as it adds another armor step

PS. Svaka cast na igri decki, genijalna je :) . Golemi gust ratovanja!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 pm

@prase: that's a nice contribution, thanks for posting in English.

prase wrote:Svaka cast na igri decki, genijalna je

Hvala! :D

jeddak
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby jeddak » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:42 am

I just skimmed this thread (already saw too much I think). So if I can't get past scenario 3 on the soviet side it's because I haven't scored high enough in the first 3? I don't mind because I do like things to be as historically accurate as possible. I just need to know and the info is not in the pdf file that came with the game. Thanks.