Ideas for fixing the Stalingrad BV problem?

Ask, comment, read.
RambOrc
Captain

Re: Ideas for fixing the Stalingrad BV problem?

Unread postby RambOrc » Fri May 25, 2012 11:52 am

Actually, the northern push always works, just not necessarily fast enough for a BV. The Soviets simply don't have enough units to permanently protect the full length of the railway line (cutting it 1 hex north of the main Soviet forces is just as good as capturing the supply sources). Even knowing what the attacker intends, there is a balance to keep, I lost with the Soviets in turn 11 because I killed all their units with the Germans (contrary to 6t9's experiences, capturing the Southern source gets quite a few units out of supply, allowing the attacker to break through easily with just the single panzer unit and the infantry in the area).

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 pm

RambOrc wrote:Actually, the northern push always works

If that's the case, we can also modify the scenario: for example add another supply source on the right bank of the Volga in Stalingrad. That would take away the motivation for the northern push completely. We will do something to address the issue in any case... I'd still prefer if it was possible without modifying the scanario, just through AI hints, but if not we'll fix it as described (or something like).

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri May 25, 2012 9:28 pm

@six: I have no idea what might be causing this. I looked around in the code earlier today, but couldn't figure out how you can possibly get negative prestige. Which means it is probably something stupid and obvious... that's how these things go normally :roll:

If you or anyone else comes accross this problem again in the future, please zip your campaign dir and either post it here, or send it to support at unityofcommand.net. Thx!

cm[]
Cadet

Unread postby cm[] » Sat May 26, 2012 8:55 am

Hello,

I ran into the same bug with the negative prestige, I'm currently at -200, but used to be -300.

For reference: I did buy some units/steps in the first mission, and that was equal to the (correctly) shown 175 points. However, on the start of the next mission my prestige started out at -300, and obviously I couldn't buy a single step, while the map overview reports that I did spend more than 500!

This translates somehow into -200 prestige at the start of the Case Blue scenario, where I think I've found another bug: I cannot deploy any of the reinforcements, although I do own the necessary hexes. I guess this is related to the negative prestige as well?

Anyway, I added the zipped campaign folder and a screenshot of the campaign map for reference. Also, I am playing on a Mac with version 1.02.

By the way, the game really is a lot of fun!

Edit: Forgot the map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat May 26, 2012 10:00 am

@cm: thanks for this, I'll be looking into it today already.

cm[]
Cadet

Unread postby cm[] » Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:@cm: thanks for this, I'll be looking into it today already.

Thanks!

Also I just tried if I can reproduce the problem and made another quick play of the first campaign mission, and I do get negative prestige again. I'll add that campaign as well, so you have more data to look at :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sat May 26, 2012 5:41 pm

We fixed this. We will be posting a preliminary patch in a little while.

What happened: when you buy a unit or some steps from the force pool, and then undo that action, prestige is returned to you. However, we keep "dual books" on prestige (of sorts): one in the game and one in the campaign. The problem was, undo returned the prestige in the game, but not in the campaign. If you did this: "buy something, then undo", then your prestige in the game was not affected. But your prestige in the campaign never got restored after undos, so you could rack up quite a bill there :? even going into negative if you did this a lot.

Thanks @six, @cm for spotting this.

Sixthe9th
Captain

Unread postby Sixthe9th » Sun May 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Excellent, I am glad I could help, because this game rocks and I really would like to see a massive series out of it in the end.

Just to add to my little dissatisfactions, I found another problem. This time in Russian campaign. The very last mission Dneper/Donbass. I can't finish it due to supply problems, it seems to me like a bug. I managed to envelop and destroy the SS Panzer Corps with GD in North, capturing the northern objective on time (7th turn). Then in the southern sector I managed to encircle and destroy whole the german army in the pocket around 5th turn. Then I made a massive push towards the southern objective..but suddenly, even when I am enhancing the supply lines..the never reached even to last third of the distance, even though I have captured all roads/railways and nodes where they meet. My army is stopped completely and lacking supplies to make final push. That is irritating. I thought I missed something, but I played this scenario nearly 10 times now and I am pretty sure I have not overlooked anything.

Also I reckon that when a unit captures a supply depot, it should get bonus of replenishment for itself, don't you think ?

I can't wait for more operations and scenarios !! I hope that the next expansion will include Barbarossa and Zitadelle.

And finally, this is purely historical poke. In one soviet scenario, I noticed GD fighting alongside FBB (Führer Begleit Brigade). Yeah those two units were very close, but in 1942-43 this unit was just a Detachment/Abteilung and not a whole brigade, therefore the proper designation should FBA. This status was granted to this unit only in 1944 precisely for the purpose of Wacht am Rhein.

Cheers

Six

RambOrc
Captain

Unread postby RambOrc » Sun May 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Check the weather, half the area turns to mud after the first few turns.

Sixthe9th
Captain

Unread postby Sixthe9th » Sun May 27, 2012 4:58 pm

yeah, thats right, my bad, I completely forgot about weather, i never checked it :) Finished the campaign now :) Hungry for more !!