The Pre-release Thread

Ask, comment, read.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

The Pre-release Thread

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:38 am

Hi all,

it's two days to go and I'm back in business brushing things up for release day. I suspect I will be at it for most of today and Monday so drop by to say hi if you're around.

In case you missed my skillful high-tech leak a few days ago, Unity of Command will be $29.99 and it will be available from this site directly, Matrix Games and Gamers Gate. I'm looking to add more distributors of course, we'll see how things go.

What I need to do today and tomorrow is mostly to finish the final content for the site and store, and create various pieces we need for the newsletter, press release etc. So exactly the glamorous kind of work game designers/developers like doing the most :roll:

But then, it takes more courage to retreat than to release... or something :D

-Tomislav

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Pre-release Thread

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 am

Wooo ! Can't wait ! .. or well.. I have skyrim.. So actually i can :P But still. Looking forward to Unity of command !

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 am

I saw some videos of Skyrim, it's all pretty impressive really... would be awesome if we could afford graphics like that :-)

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 am

hehe.. Well if Unity of Command does well. I imagine you could afford a nice graphics engine. and more things in general... Perhaps something like CoH just set during Stalingrad ? :P

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:38 am

It's producing the actual graphical assets that would be expensive I think (require a lot of work, additional artists) rather than the enigne itself.

The engine for a strategy title like ours doesn't really need to be at the very sharp end of things... but the assets still need to look good.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Incredibly enough, less than 24 hrs to release and there's not so much to do. I imagined things would be really frantic about this time. :o

I took the time to read the exhaustive review at 7idgaming.de this morning. Then had a 2-hour coffee break with our resident expert in "Künstliche Intelligenz", who was all chatty and beaming about the good press his AI work is getting. It was all a bit over the top to be completely honest ;)

Anyway, there's still some more work left over so I'm off to do that :arrow: but in general, doesn't look like it's going to be a stressful day ahead. As usual, drop by for a chat if you're around.

Cheers!

thirsty
First Lieutenant

Unread postby thirsty » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Incredibly enough, less than 24 hrs to release and there's not so much to do.

Well.... if you are looking for something to do you can always get a headstart on that Kursk, Bagration, Seelow Heights/Battle of Berlin Expansion pack..... :!: :idea: :P

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:40 pm

That is in fact on the table precisely like that... Kursk to Berlin, a sort of Soviet mega-campaign. But there are other ideas too, we haven't made a decision either way.

In any case, I am not even going to think about expansions before next week at the earliest... some well-deserved breaks are in order in the meantime :-)

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Well you might have earned a break :P And yeah, i am aware you need art people for impressive visuals ;) Twas' just saying, plus i do wonder what you'd do with greater graphics for a strategy game like this :p

Also a question, you say you can purchase the game from here as well. But how will that be handled and will i be able to re-download from here in the future ?'

Edit: And will we be looking at a midnight release ?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Purchases from our site will go through Plimus. This is pretty standard.

When you buy this way, Plimus provides a download link which normally expires after a while. However, you can always contact us for a re-download if you ever lose the link and/or your files. You will not be charged for this.