UoC cover design

Ask, comment, read.
Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

UoC cover design

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 pm

uoc_cover_500.jpg

I just wanted to share the final version of UoC cover design with you. It's right fresh out of our workshop and we'd be happy to hear what you think. Feel free to comment.

Also, if you happen to have questions regarding any other visual aspect of the game - just fire away. I'll do my best to answer it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: UoC cover design

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Very nice cover. Like the style of it :)

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm glad you like it :)

There's a post on our blog about making of cover artwork. If you're interested in that kind of thing - check it out:

https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2011/11/ ... ront-cover

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Hm.. Quite interesting, hadn't thought about the amount of work that could go into something like that. But certainly interesting :)

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Very nice to write a blog about something like this and make it accessible for non-technical/non-arty people (I am a 'technical/arty people', but anyway).

I like the image, but doing quick glances of it, it looks like the name of the game is "Unity" and its subtitle is "Of Command" (With a sub-sub-title underneath that :D). I know you are trying to make the text of equivalent widths, but making the word "Unity" much taller as well and having "of" and "command" the same size tends to separate them in my mind and mostly draw my eye just to "Unity". I think that increasing or decreasing the size of the word "of" might stop my brain thinking that (remember that I've spent significantly less time with the words Unity of Command in my head than you lot :D).

gillmant
Captain

Unread postby gillmant » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Well, i think the cover is very nice, retro and stylistic!
Good work, same quality as the game :)

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Imperial Dane wrote:Hm.. Quite interesting, hadn't thought about the amount of work that could go into something like that. But certainly interesting :)

Spooner wrote:Very nice to write a blog about something like this and make it accessible for non-technical/non-arty people (I am a 'technical/arty people', but anyway).

Thanks. Yeah, I tried to make it as light a read as possible but still showing all the main steps of the process. I hope it's interesting enough for the general audience.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm

Spooner wrote:I like the image, but doing quick glances of it, it looks like the name of the game is "Unity" and its subtitle is "Of Command" (With a sub-sub-title underneath that :D). I know you are trying to make the text of equivalent widths, but making the word "Unity" much taller as well and having "of" and "command" the same size tends to separate them in my mind and mostly draw my eye just to "Unity". I think that increasing or decreasing the size of the word "of" might stop my brain thinking that (remember that I've spent significantly less time with the words Unity of Command in my head than you lot :D).

Good catch, Spooner. You do have an "artist eye" after all ;). You are right, however subtle this might be. To tell you the truth, the very first version of the logo was exactly like you're proposing - with smaller "of", and it was like that for the very reasons you're mentionig. I dug it up from our wiki, here:

uoc_logo_v1.jpg

We were tossing various sub-versions of the logo around for years. The one that eventually survived until the end is the one you see on the cover. I'll probably standardize the design at some point in the future taking this into consideration. For the time being, it'll have to be this version as it's already too late to change it for the release.

I must notice though that only a hardcore typographic purist would issue such an objection :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 pm

gillmant wrote:Well, i think the cover is very nice, retro and stylistic!
Good work, same quality as the game :)

Thanks. We were working hard to keep a certain quality level all throughout the game. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes, I can be a bit anal about things (perfectionism is my lodestone). Another common way to keep the top and bottom words linked would be some sort of horizontal bars or marks next to the "of" or perhaps making the "of command" a bit bolder (or "unity" less bold), but I've no doubt that you went through a lot of permutations over time.

I doubt anyone else in the world would complain about the typography as it is, though (especially since it is likely that most people reading the cover will have already read the name "Unity of Command" somewhere before they see the picture and I'm sure they will look at it twice if they need to!). The other reason it stuck out for me is that there is a game making tool called 'Unity', but most of your payers won't have spent time with that. Feel free to criticise the graphic design of my games any time you like :P