UoC cover design

Ask, comment, read.
Davin Valkri
Captain

Re: UoC cover design

Unread postby Davin Valkri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 am

I don't know if I should call it a "cool" cover, since it's supposed to have a mild "Nazi heroic posing" aesthetic, but it is quite nice.

Maybe an alternate Soviet version is in the works? :?:

Nenad Jalsovec
Art!

Unread postby Nenad Jalsovec » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Davin Valkri wrote:I don't know if I should call it a "cool" cover, since it's supposed to have a mild "Nazi heroic posing" aesthetic, but it is quite nice.
Maybe an alternate Soviet version is in the works? :?:

Phrase "heroic realism" was not a description. It's an "official" term used by art historians to refer to both - soviet and nazi period art. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_realism

The same term is used because the two, soviet soc-realism and nazi realism, were surprisingly similar in style and subject matter. Well, it's not really surprising. They both served the same purpose of being propaganda devices for totalitarian regimes. If you disregard explicit ideological symbolism, the two styles were practically identical, however in opposition the regimes may have been.

In this regard the similarly styled soviet version you suggest would work rather nicely. Interestingly, leaving everything else intact and changing only the shape of the helmet it'd probably turn into convincing "soc-realistic heroism" :D

I actually did have an idea to make a two-tier cover, one for each side, but limited time resources didn't allow for this. I choose axis motive since in the game there is slightly more focus on the axis campaign. The soviet version of one sort or another will probably be used for eventual future releases.

Anyway, I used just a superficial hint of all this for the cover. I'm happy how it turned out devoid of all propagandic load x-heroism style(s) were originally imbued with.

So, yeah, I'm positive you can safely declare it cool without fear of political-corectness-police jumping down your throat :mrgreen:

Imperial Dane
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postby Imperial Dane » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

It's certainly a very ncie choice, and as a wehrmacht enthusiast i certainly appreciate the use of Panzers and Stahlhelm :D