Purchased Unity of Command!

Ask, comment, read.
Kool Kat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Kool Kat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:37 am

Gents: :ugeek:

I've read a couple of game reviews and watched several replays on YouTube. I'm a fan of WW2 Eastern Front-based games. I am intrigued by Unity of Command's simple interface and mechanics. There also looks like there's a lot of detail and depth going on under the covers! ;)

So... before I plop down my hard earned money on this title... I have a few questions for the UoC vets on these forums:

1) How challenging is the AI?

2) How active is the PBeM community? (e.g. How easy is it to find human opponents?)

3) How does UoC PBeM work? (e.g. Is it server-based? Do you exchange game files via email? Other method?)

I'm really interested in playing against other players... and most likely will NOT purchase UoC unless there is a robust PBeM community supporting the game.

Many thanks in advance for your replies! :D
Last edited by Kool Kat on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

Kool Kat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Kool Kat » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Surely UoC vets have some commentary on the AI and PvP aspects of the game? :?:

Welcome your replies! :)
Last edited by Kool Kat on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Re: Thinking of Buying Unity of Command?

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Kool Kat -

Welcome!

1) The AI is one of the game's strongest features - it conducts aggressive defenses and can unleash counterattacks that will cut your spearheads off from supply if it sees an opportunity. For more information, see my interview of Ante Turudic, the game's AI wizard. Tim Stone described the AI in the most memorable way over at PCGamer:
"This game doesn't come with conventional AI. Buy it, and the Croatian devs mail you two giant, powder-filled jiffy-bags, one labelled 'Ferdinand Fuchs', the other 'Boris Bastardov'. Open these, add five gallons of vodka to the Boris bag and five gallons of schnapps to the Ferdinand, then stand back as two super-sly Ost Front generals materialise in front of you."

2 + 3: You find multiplayer opponents by posting here on the forums or meeting through Steam or another website. The community remains fairly active, even several years after release. We hosted a big tournament back at the start of the year and are planning another for this summer.

You'll also get many hours of challenging play out of the single player campaign. I really can't emphasize enough how good the AI is.

Kool Kat
Second Lieutenant

Re: Purchased Unity of Command!

Unread postby Kool Kat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:10 am

Ritalingamer wrote:Hi Kool Kat -

Welcome!

1) The AI is one of the game's strongest features - it conducts aggressive defenses and can unleash counterattacks that will cut your spearheads off from supply if it sees an opportunity. For more information, see my interview of Ante Turudic, the game's AI wizard. Tim Stone described the AI in the most memorable way over at PCGamer:
"This game doesn't come with conventional AI. Buy it, and the Croatian devs mail you two giant, powder-filled jiffy-bags, one labelled 'Ferdinand Fuchs', the other 'Boris Bastardov'. Open these, add five gallons of vodka to the Boris bag and five gallons of schnapps to the Ferdinand, then stand back as two super-sly Ost Front generals materialise in front of you."

2 + 3: You find multiplayer opponents by posting here on the forums or meeting through Steam or another website. The community remains fairly active, even several years after release. We hosted a big tournament back at the start of the year and are planning another for this summer.

You'll also get many hours of challenging play out of the single player campaign. I really can't emphasize enough how good the AI is.

Hey Matt: :ugeek:

Thank you for your reply! :)

As a tester, you should be very familiar with the AI mechanics and performance... so I certainly value your comments.

I have a regular gaming opponent who owns UoC and suggested that I look into this game title. I need to circle back with him and than I'll make my final purchase decision.

Observation - I am disappointed that the UoC community is not more active - especially in the PvP forums. I guess all topics and discussions about UoC have already been posted?
Last edited by Kool Kat on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, - Mike

ironbmike
First Lieutenant

Re: Thinking of Buying Unity of Command?

Unread postby ironbmike » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Kool Kat wrote:
Ritalingamer wrote:Hi Kool Kat -

Welcome!

Hey Matt: :ugeek:

Thank you for your reply! :)

As a tester, you should be very familiar with the AI mechanics and performance... so I certainly value your comments.

I have a regular gaming opponent who owns UoC and suggested that I look into this game title. I need to circle back with him and than I'll make my final purchase decision.

Observation - I am disappointed that the UoC community is not more active - especially in the PvP forums. I guess all topics and discussions about UoC have already been posted?

More people post in the Steam groups I think. There is a UoC community on Steam and different groups. Just look at the list of game owners and start friending them too and ask them to play.

Kool Kat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Kool Kat » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I have purchased UoC and patched to V1.04a! :)

Will play through the base game scenarios before moving on to the expansion sets.

Played the introductory scenario. Using massive Luftwaffe air support, I smashed through the Russian front lines near Sevastopol with my German infantry and than blitzed through the enemy with my panzer division... easily wining the scenario. Good fun!

I'm sure the other scenarios + PvP options will be more challenging! :o

Looking forward to exciting times on the Eastern Front! 8-)
Regards, - Mike

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi Kool Kat,

glad you enjoyed the game. Also thanks for your post in Suggestions Thread.

It's... curiously close to the new game design doc in every single point. If you're hacking our server, please stop :-D

Cheers,

Tomislav

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Hi Kool Kat,

It's... curiously close to the new game design doc in every single point. If you're hacking our server, please stop :-D

Cheers,

Tomislav

Kool Kat -

Check out the dev diaries - you're remarkably close to how the sequel will pan out.

Kool Kat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Kool Kat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Hi Kool Kat,

Cheers,

Tomislav

Hello: :ugeek:

I had no idea... but I am excited about these features being incorporated into the next game design! :)
Regards, - Mike