Development Diary 1 – No More Wipeouts!

Ask, comment, read.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Development Diary 1 – No More Wipeouts!

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi all,

please find the dev diary for our new game on the blog link below. Hopefully this is the first of many such diaries - writing this stuff doesn't really come easy to me, but I'll do my best.

https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2015/02/ ... -wipeouts/

Feel free to comment on these new ideas, either here or on the blog. Do you think this is a change for the better? Let us know, your feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers!

TIK
Cadet

Re: Development Diary 1 – No More Wipeouts!

Unread postby TIK » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Dev Diaries are great, you should definitely do more :)

I like the idea that units will now retreat rather than disintegrate, and I'm looking forward to seeing some "messy endgame situations". I do have a couple of questions though:

Would this new combat system make defensive scenarios a possibility?

And am I right in thinking that you're aiming to make larger scenarios with the new mechanics? Taifun is fun, but I do enjoy the small scenarios so you should definitely still have a mix of sizes.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Development Diary 1 – No More Wipeouts!

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:10 pm

TIK wrote:Would this new combat system make defensive scenarios a possibility?

Yeah, we're looking at making defensive scenarios.. though combat itself is a secondary concern there. AI will be difficult, and also I'm still to figure out "victory conditions" for scenarios where your main goal is to stall for time, or simply just survive.

TIK wrote:am I right in thinking that you're aiming to make larger scenarios with the new mechanics?

Yes, that's very much a goal, but not necessarily for the campaign. I'm currently thinking the sweet spot for campaign scenarios is more in the 8-turn range.

Larger scenarios can be awesome standalone though. For example, "Zitadelle-Kutuzov" by Daniel which is the favorite community scenario of those I've played so far: https://unityofcommand.net/cs/view.php?sid=134