Official Unity of Command Tournament!

Ask, comment, read.
Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Official Unity of Command Tournament!

Unread postby Danielefc » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:33 am

Cheers for the flattery guys... warms my heart! :)

The issue for me making further scenarios at the moment is not a lack of incentive/will to do so (ie money). But rather that battles on the eastern front that lend themselves well to UoC's mechanics & scale have been pretty much exhausted as I see it. 'Seydlitz' was really scraping the bottom of the 'battle-barrel' for me - and in all honesty I wasn't all that pleased with the end result. I was working on some form of 'Demyansk Pocket' scenario, but as with Seydlitz it was real tricky to make it enjoyable and realistic'ish within the confines of the engine. And then extra work came along and stole a bunch of my spare time...

I'm curious as to how this tournament will look (mostly which scenario(s) will be used).

Kampfgruppe
Captain

Unread postby Kampfgruppe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks for designing such interesting battles. I don't have much time to play but when I do have time...I play UofC.

Interesting to see if the scenarios will be new or old. I hope new because that will make the Tournament that much better.

As far as new design material, so many variations exist. Supply can be the issue of a scenario. Relief attempts at pockets of forces for another scenario. Elite but depleted units must withstand or must attack . Locations of victory locations. Unit upgrade costs. Most importantly...salvaging units and keeping units from being destroyed as part of the VL. Like if 21st Pz division survives intact the other side, since this is tournament, receives points. Real commanders are constantly monitoring the casualty rate. Not knowing when reinforcements arrive and if they ever do. Not mentioned in the scenario but in a lightly defended area on turn 3 four Soviet divisions show up and must be dealt with by the forces at hand.

All the above is to just generate ideas and possibilities. Easy for me! But hard to build. Of course, all the scenarios so far created can be new variations with simple modifications that change the dynamics of the battlefield. Limited upgrades, unit refresh limits per turn, prestige points to purchase but the cost of losing units takes away prestige points.

Now, when I setup a worldwide tournament. Each battle scenario, hundreds of them, would be password protected with each player receiving a part of the password and the only way to play was to exchange your part of the password to make it work. Not knowing the battle really enhances the play in a big way, the "fog" effect. On the battlefield...the commander never gets a second chance.

Thanks again for such great scenarios they are kick ass.

robbdm
Newcomer

Unread postby robbdm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 am

Hey All.. New to the UoC game but learning fast, sign me up :!:

Tankman45210
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Tankman45210 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:28 pm

The next month is pretty demanding on time but I'm definitely interested.

Reanimator
Newcomer

Unread postby Reanimator » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 am

Hi I'd like to sign up.

senarmont
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby senarmont » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Sign me up!

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:00 am

OK, signups are officially closed with 21 entrants.

All of you who posted here should expect a PM soon, explaining who your first match will be.

In light of the number of competitors, let's do a single elimination tournament. I will assign each of you a random "seed," then PM you with your first matchup and your assigned map.

We'll start with the Kharkov PVP map, because I can guarantee everyone has it, since it came with the core game.
In later rounds we'll move to different maps - if any competitor doesn't have the DLC for that map, PM me and we'll work out an alternate for you for that match.

Feld Grau
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Feld Grau » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Ok sounds good! My only concern currently will be working out a time with my opponent. Im currently in South Korea( Army ) so time zone difference may be funky. Will we be able to work with our opponent so we can agree on a set time that works for both of us?

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Feld Grau wrote:Ok sounds good! My only concern currently will be working out a time with my opponent. Im currently in South Korea( Army ) so time zone difference may be funky. Will we be able to work with our opponent so we can agree on a set time that works for both of us?

Yes. The plan is, once a match is assigned, the two players will PM each other and arrange a time.

I am creating a second thread for running the tournament, reporting results, etc, so I"m going to ask the mods to close this one.

Katukov
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Katukov » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Ritalingamer wrote:OK, signups are officially closed with 21 entrants.

All of you who posted here should expect a PM soon, explaining who your first match will be.

In light of the number of competitors, let's do a single elimination tournament. I will assign each of you a random "seed," then PM you with your first matchup and your assigned map.

We'll start with the Kharkov PVP map, because I can guarantee everyone has it, since it came with the core game.
In later rounds we'll move to different maps - if any competitor doesn't have the DLC for that map, PM me and we'll work out an alternate for you for that match.

One more question - the Kharkov PVP map it's a 2nd or 3d Kharkov? Simply I don't know, what does it mean - the Kharkov PVP Map((