Orel/Briansk--Help!

Ask, comment, read.
Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Orel/Briansk--Help!

Unread postby Danielefc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:21 pm

MarkClark wrote:Another one I guess I can't figure out.

You are overwhelmingly outnumbered. All the Russians have to do is stack up a wall of units against your advance, which they can do, endlessly. You can win any individual battle, but you inevitably lose the war of attrition. And then the rain just fucks you in the ass.

I watched two separate playthroughs that were uploaded here and they were surreal. Every axis strike destroyed a Russian unit, with no damage to the Germans. To say the least, that does NOT happen when I play.

Well three things:

1. Relocate engineers from your infantry to the armour and motorized divisions (on turn 2 or 3 - once you have broken through the first two lines).

2. A brilliant victory is probably only possible about 80% of the time here due to weather.

3. Speaking of which: You do know that you don't need to capture objectives within the set turn limits? As long as you capture all objectives before the final turn you still get a victory. The turn limit for each objective is what is required for a brilliant victory. There are three outcomes to a scenario: Brilliant Victory, Decisive Victory, Victory and Defeat. In the campaign you are sometimes required to achieve a certain level of victory to advance to the next scenario. Brilliant victories are designed to be hard to achieve and they usually require slightly better performance than what happened in history. Anyway - for playing through single scenarios the level of victory is irrelevant as you can always jump to the next scenario regardless.

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:10 pm

The weather is just relentlessly rain. Wherever I need to attack, it rains. This about 10 playthroughs so far.

This is cynical of me, but I have to believe that the playthroughs I downloaded, people are just saving and reloading until they get a turn with no rain.

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

If you play campaign there is no reload, only restart. The rain always hits before you reach Saratov? In that case you've been very unlucky. Some rain and then snow is to be expected though.

One final thing that might help is that it's often better to weaken several strong soviet units than destroying one. That way they will be more likely to leave you alone on their turn.

We want to see a replay now btw :). I bet we'll be able to find some things to improve....

Not accepting anything but a BV the first time you play a scenario sounds like a bad idea. Just get whatever victory you can and move on to the next one.

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 pm

any reason why people take the NWestern rail line and go for Tambov? Not sure I see the point ...

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:48 pm

MarkClark wrote:any reason why people take the NWestern rail line and go for Tambov? Not sure I see the point ...

They like their maps green?

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Did you mean to say 80% of the time it WON'T be possible because of rain? Because that tracks with my experience. Usually turns one and two are relatively clear. After that, the entire route up the rail line is about 80% rainy. Then it rains solid around Saratov from turn 5 on.

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm

MarkClark wrote:Did you mean to say 80% of the time it WON'T be possible because of rain? Because that tracks with my experience. Usually turns one and two are relatively clear. After that, the entire route up the rail line is about 80% rainy. Then it rains solid around Saratov from turn 5 on.

Weather plays a larger role in axis scenarios. If you only accept BVs your going to have to reload or restart quite a few times because of weather. That's just the way it is...

You seem to have been very unlucky so far though.

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 pm

For some reason, I've not been able to get full screen to work. However, it hasn't bothered me until now. In the Baku scenario, I can't get the screen to scroll all the way to the right, nor, it appears, all the way to the south. It seems that some of the area of play I just can't see. I also can't, incidentally, read the sign that tells me what turn Baku must be taken by.

Any ideas?

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 am

MarkClark wrote:For some reason, I've not been able to get full screen to work. However, it hasn't bothered me until now. In the Baku scenario, I can't get the screen to scroll all the way to the right, nor, it appears, all the way to the south. It seems that some of the area of play I just can't see. I also can't, incidentally, read the sign that tells me what turn Baku must be taken by.

Any ideas?

This was a slight problem in one or two maps in the base game since the map was too small (Was corrected for the expansions). However you can solve it by simply toggling the 'Force Pool'. For turn limits you can see them in the 'Sheet' on the right. See below:

MarkClark wrote:Did you mean to say 80% of the time it WON'T be possible because of rain? Because that tracks with my experience. Usually turns one and two are relatively clear. After that, the entire route up the rail line is about 80% rainy. Then it rains solid around Saratov from turn 5 on.

About 1 in 5 will be impossible due to weather. But the rest should be more than do-able. Of course bad luck can never be written off.

Again - you choose to go for Brilliant victories and not just standard or decisive ones. This means that most scenarios will be tough nuts to crack. It is not intended that players should be able to achieve brilliant victories before they gain a buttload of experience in the game.