Tips for January Offensive (Soviet) - Black Turn [EDITED]

Ask, comment, read.
rory678
Second Lieutenant

Tips for January Offensive (Soviet) - Black Turn [EDITED]

Unread postby rory678 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Can't seem to do this one, looking for some help please.

I try to just focus on small local victories and can get the Germans on the back foot but I know I need to have an overall strategy or focus.

How did you guys complete this mission?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by rory678 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

juoc
Major

Re: Tips for Moscow Offensive (Soviet) - Black Turn

Unread postby juoc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Break through their lines around Tula and try to encircle as many units as possible. I think I had a cavalry unit over the bridge to Orel by the end of turn 2. Don't be afraid to get a few units out of supply yourself in the process. Don't take unnecessary risks north of Tula and focus on keeping the railroad between Moscow and Tula open at all costs. After a while the AI will start to move units south and you can start your attack.

rory678
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby rory678 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:31 am

Sorry I messed up!!!!

thank you so much for your advice but I actually meant the January Offensive mission, not the Moscow Offensive mission!

Easy mistake to make I suppose with both maps featuring Moscow.

Hope someone can still help!

Thanks

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Tips for January Offensive (Soviet) - Black Turn [EDITED

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:07 am

rory678 wrote:Can't seem to do this one, looking for some help please.

I try to just focus on small local victories and can get the Germans on the back foot but I know I need to have an overall strategy or focus.

How did you guys complete this mission?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1st turn is paramount. There are some juicy options available if you look closer. On the southern sector Leading to Bryansk the gap between the 3rd and 4th panzer divisions can be occupied by your infantry and then your cav and armour can rush through and almost capture bryansk on turn 1. Just south of Kalinin there is also a posibility of a sort of double encirclement (move that cavalry). By Demyansk i would say dont attack anything in the first turn - Just move into better positions and you can almost surround it - leaving only one hex leading into it.

Finally 5 important tips.

1. Find a 5 step unit with arty and another 5 step unit that can both be disbanded turn 1. These re-inforcements will be invaluable in turn 2. Keep disbanding weak units (that are not needed for blocking) every turn. Especially move those arty pieces from units that are torn up.

2. Find some sectors that dont really need troops/sectors to go on the defensive - this frees up troops to go on the offensive elsewhere OR you can disband them to use as re-inforcements.

3. Your cavalry is your "armour" - they are the only fast units that are available - keep them alive and give them upgrades whenever possible/needed.

4. The motorized divisions are more for "killing". Immediately re-inforce the one without veterancy and see to it that the other one gets some easy kills so that it can be re-inforced soon enough.

5. Moscow is a bit vulnerable in the beginning - take care not to loose your supply!!!

EDIT: 6. Velikye Luki is tricky to get by turn 9. Shifting south from Demyansk as soon as possible is the best way I've been able to come up with (keep an eye on supply though).

I hope this helps :).

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm

rory678 wrote:Sorry I messed up!!!!

thank you so much for your advice but I actually meant the January Offensive mission, not the Moscow Offensive mission!

Easy mistake to make I suppose with both maps featuring Moscow.

Hope someone can still help!

Thanks

Easy indeed, since I just realized my answer was a mix of January offensive and Moscow offensive...

To add to Danielefcs answer. The AI let me take their northern supply center with the northernmost infantry unit in 3 turns unopposed, which makes things around Demyansk easy. Kind of cheap though.

I positioned one extra unit one hex south of the bridge at Kalinin to at least get an extra zone of control if the AI breaks through the first line (which it did on my first try).

rory678
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby rory678 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 am

Wow, so detailed! :shock:

Thanks guys!! :)

rory678
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby rory678 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 am

Did it! Took my til my last turn because of a few errors but overall the strategy was perfect.

Thanks again ;)