Getting Crushed--how to learn the game?

Ask, comment, read.
MarkClark
Captain

Getting Crushed--how to learn the game?

Unread postby MarkClark » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

I am getting absolutely slaughtered on "race to Rostov" which by consensus is supposed to be extremely easy. The Soviet units cannot lay a glove on the Germans--the odds are all terrible and any attempt at attacking in turn one ends in disaster. Certainly, I can't touch their tanks. If I want to suffer massive losses, I can trade several of my units for a 50-50 shot at maybe destroying one German INF. Maybe.

Then when it's the Germans' turn, they just crush my lines, destroying 4-5 or more units in the process--every time--including tanks.

Obviously I am doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what. I watched this vid a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaSdWCpQO_o

My game never unfolds anything like this. Can someone point me to key essays to read or something?

Thanks

MarkClark
Captain

Re: Getting Crushed--how to learn the game?

Unread postby MarkClark » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Anyone?

The Russians are just kittens against the Germans. Odds are like 5:0 for every encounter, even tanks against INF.

WTF???

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 am

Supply is absolutely key to that scenario, mate. You'll not beat the Germans by going head to head - you need to work out how to get them out of supply, and keep them that way.

Have a careful look at the supply map, the Germans are getting supply over a couple of key bridges. Remember supply can't be traced more than one hex over a river. If you can capture and hold those bridges, the Germans have just one turn to counterattack, and then they start to wither away. Sure, you'll take some heavy losses, but that's irrelevant once the Germans are totally out of supply. Even a shattered cavalry unit with just a few strength points left is useful here, to rush around his flanks, surround him, soak up attacks, etc.

All of the above applies to the situation north of the Don River. South of the river, you have the numbers and the strength to attack the few German units. They're tough, but fragile.

HolyDeath
Captain

Unread postby HolyDeath » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:03 am

Equal Soviet infantry divisions can't match their German counterparts, especially when attacking in snow, through river, etc. Keep in mind that the same applies to them. You should use your elite units first, ideally the ones with artillery. Failing that unit with any other "assault" support brigade (like armor). Failing that the strongest remaining unit. Air force can be used to weaken enemy tanks. Look for weak links in German lines - Italians, Romanians, etc. and try to reach their supply lines or threathen the objectives. Be scalpel instead of a hammer. You don't have enough firepower to blast enemy off the map.

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:07 pm

nvm

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 pm

MarkClark wrote:Not working. Everything I do is wrong. The germans crush me every time. All tank units gone after the first two turns. I cannot lay a glove on them. Exploiting the weak points is worthless. They have no weak points. Sure, you can kill the two or so allied units but as soon as your done, your unit gets gang-banged and is gone.

This game is unbalanced and no damned fun.

As soon as you understand the game mechanics I guarantee you'll see things differently. You may still not like the game - but if there is one thing in Unity of Command that is "perfect" - then its the balance :) !

The guys above gave all the right pointers. But just to clarify here is a complete walkthrough of this scenario:

The front is split into two sections: 1. North of the Don River - 2. South of the Don River. From now on I'll just refer to them as north and south.

1. On the northern part of the front you are at a disadvantage in unit "power" however you have a numerical advantage. This means that any head-on attacks into the german units will be met with disaster. But due to your numbers you have excellent possibilities for cutting off german supplies. Specially because on this section all of those supplies have to go across the two bridges north-east of Rostov. It does not matter if the units that reach these bridges are detroyed. All you need to do is block them for two turns and all the german units to the east of the Donets River will be unable to attack. One turn later they will be completely out of supply. At this stage a panzer division can be wiped out by just a half strength Soviet infantry corps.

2. On the southern section you have both the advantage in numbers and power. It is possible to wipe out both the SS-Wiking and the forward most Panzer-division on turn 1. The last remaining panzer division with the attached Tiger batallion will retreat across the Manych River. On turn 2 you mop up what is left on your side of the river and move into position for a crossing on turn 3. IMPORTANT: To defeat this panzer division with the attached tigers you will need to have your most powerfull tank units move accross the river first!

Screenshot with a few more pointers:
1. These are the bridges that the german supplies in the north rely on
2. These crossing point are rather important as your own supply situation can suffer quite a bit if they fall into german hands
3. Destroy/surround these two units on turn 1
4. Disband that northern tank unit and the T-34's that are attached to that southern infantry corps. They will make excellent re-inforcements on turn 2!

Below is a replay of all of the above - the replay goes into:
C:/Users/Yourusername/Appdata/roaming/Unity of Command/save/
The folder "appdata" may be a hidden folder depending on your settings.

Race for Rostov BV.usg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkClark
Captain

Unread postby MarkClark » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 pm

I appreciate your help, thank you.