Donbas Nip, any tip?

Ask, comment, read.
CaptKaz
First Lieutenant

Donbas Nip, any tip?

Unread postby CaptKaz » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Hey guys. I guess this must be the hardest scenario in the game? After bagging Decisive Victories on all other BT scenarios i find myself not even able to get win on this map. The first time i just went for an all out attack trying a breakthrough both north and south, was stuck in Soviets on both fronts and no luck. Then i tried to move some of the veichles from the south and up the north to get a break through there, but the forces that got through and sent inn to cut off supplies was surrounded and cut off them selfs. Third time i tried to fokus in the south to get the nearest city (Rostov?), but then after some turns my line of defence started leaking (darn the weak Italian infantry:P) and my whole southern army cut off..

Could it be i should focus my offensive in the middle between the two main fronts? Thx in advance for any advice :)

HolyDeath
Captain

Re: Donbas Nip, any tip?

Unread postby HolyDeath » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I think the north should maintain defensive position, because the Red Army is too strong to try any counterattacks there. I barely managed to hold them in place.

In my opinion it's imperative to move south, capture the city and risk being cut off once you're close enough to both remaining objectives (one turn). You won't be able to hold the supply line in the south for too long as your forces will have to spread really thin and hills won't allow you to supply past strong defensive line. Or leave one strong unit in the second objective, the other in the city and send one far up north to cut off enemy supply lines. You'll have to risk these three units, but all the rest can focus on either denting defensive line baring your way to the last objective (which was what I did) or re-establish the supply link and wait for the Soviet forces in the south to starve to death.

CaptKaz
First Lieutenant

Unread postby CaptKaz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Ye I finally got the win here by shamelessly upgrading all Panzer`s with special steps and thrashing in south. As you said the key is to manage to hold the supply line until you can take the two last objectives in one turn. In the north i only focused on holding a defensive line and not letting any Soviets through and just barely pulled it off with only two troops left garding the last bridge on the last turn.

It tok me seven tries to get the win on this last mission.. :P Good fun

TrailblazingScot
Cadet

Unread postby TrailblazingScot » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:05 pm

I found this a very difficult scenario as the Russians have so many good quality units.

I finally achieved a BV, but my army was pretty beat up. Like the previous poster I maintained a defensive arrangement to the North and used upgraded Panzers and my motorised infantry to fight through to Rostov and then North. The margins are very tight as there are just so many units that need killing.

Stahlgewitter
Colonel

Unread postby Stahlgewitter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Hate to necro but I have never won a BV (or even a win) with anything other than a Rostov first strategy.

If I go for Rostov, I can usually win on T6. This is basically because possession of Rostov, the bridge to the east and some sort of chain back to the Mius bridge shuts down any threat from the south. Any other approach gets your spearheads soaked and crushed in detail.