Stalingrad Campaign vs Red Turn Vs Black Turn

Ask, comment, read.
monkspider
Cadet

Stalingrad Campaign vs Red Turn Vs Black Turn

Unread postby monkspider » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Now that Black Turn is out, how would you rank the various campaigns thus far? For me, I would probably give Black Turn the top spot. It seems to be the most well-designed with a gentle learning curve, and probably the highest level of craftsmanship on the scenarios. I would give Red Turn the second spot, and then the Stalingrad campaign (which is still outstanding).

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Stalingrad Campaign vs Red Turn Vs Black Turn

Unread postby Danielefc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Interesting question. Comparisons are always hard... And rarely "fair". I would probably go with BT-SC-RT. With BT beating SC because an already smooth game has become so finely tuned. I loved RT but the "style" of play the Soviets have just isn't as fun as ze germanz imo. Figuring out how to throw as many infantry corps as possible against one enemy unit without blocking one's advance - to then break through with an overwhelming might of armoured formations just isn't as much fun as creating pincer movements with the more durable german units. Inevitably the german scenarios have more "options" open to them. And this is by no means due to any level- or game design flaw as I see it. Its just that the two factions play differently (and pretty darn close to how they operated historically). And this in itself is a really great achievement and one of the cornerstones of the game... So its not a critisism. But in terms of pure "gaming" i find the german style more enjoyable. And as such BT takes 1st place for me, followed very very closely by SC and RT. But honestly they are all so good in my book that its like choosing between beer and whisky...

Dunno if this makes any sense :D

To add to this discussion: In all three games which is your favourite sceanrio?

Clx-
Captain

Unread postby Clx- » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 am

Good post Daniel, agree entirely.

CaptKaz
First Lieutenant

Unread postby CaptKaz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Just now finished SC and RT it seems to me that Red Turn is a lot easier than the original campaign? Got a Decisive victory with the first try on most of the scenarios, unlike Stalingrad where most maps are challenging and requires several attempts to even get a win. It also seemed to get easier the farther out in the campaign I got. Is this done intentionally to reflect the latter stages of the war for the Soviets? Nevertheless, i appreciated the maps and the lengthy campaign.

I do agree the Germans is a bit more interesting with more variety in their troops and gameplay from what i have seen from SC. I think some of the Soviets special steps only arrived in the last assault on Berlin scenario such as the ISU/IS heavy tank, i guess this was units that was only introdused late war but still would be fun to have more special steps options through out the campaign.

How is Black Turn regarding difficulty and is there any new troops/special steps that comes with it?

CaptKaz
First Lieutenant

Unread postby CaptKaz » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Bought Black Turn as a little christmas present to myself and it sure gets the top spot togheter with The Stalingrad Campaign! Love the variety in maps and the new troops as the Slovakian Motorized and the Hungarians with them white horses. They doesn`t do me any favors on the field tho but anyways :)

GJ and merry xmas :)

Iwbtone
Newcomer

Unread postby Iwbtone » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I knew I got in the UOC community too late, but let my price say someting :mrgreen:
I bought UOC last xmas half sale, then bought Red Turn on July ,I remember that's a 66%off sale
now I purchased Black Turn on launch day ~ can't wait for next sale any more,
glad to play OP Barbarossa via UOC's engine , my 1st is Black,then original and Red,
but really all of three are great! let me feel a fresh hex-wargame blood, different from old-school traditional's