Why charging 20% more for european version?

Ask, comment, read.
luczed
First Lieutenant

Why charging 20% more for european version?

Unread postby luczed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Just curious why do we have to pay 20% more than our american cousins? Was eager to buy this title but after this move I am not so sure anymore.

proof: http://www.steamprices.com/eu2/dlc/2584 ... k-turn-dlc

Is it because taxes or just for profit? Any answer is appreciated, thanks.

I am reposting this topic I made on the steam hub here. I don't want to sound rude or anything because this game is very well done, and it deserves the money fully, but this is a bit odd and I feel slightly cheated. I can understand some differences in prices but 20% is really a lot. I'd rather donate to the game the extra money than having it taken from me like that.

EDIT: Correction, buying from the UoC website charges you 31% more than american version, so even more than steam (which is 20% more).
Last edited by luczed on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fierman
Captain

Re: Why charging 20% more for european version?

Unread postby fierman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:50 pm

I think you have to blame Steam there. More American companies pull this trick: levelling us$ and EUR prices on a 1:1 ratio.
Possible solutions: 1) pay in us$, or 2) buy the game from the devvers directly. (on this site you pay less than on Steam it seems. You do have to take account for the 21% VAT then again...)

luczed
First Lieutenant

Unread postby luczed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Buying from the UoC website charges me with an additional 11% making it 31% in total. So I doubt it's steam related. Still any clear answer from developers is appreciated. Not accusing anyone here of being greedy, if the market allows that kind of profit, then it's ok to me, the game deserves it, but still I wanted to know the real reason for such a big difference.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 am

Hmm, I'll ask Tomislav, as charging more for one version is a very bad practice that we certainly don't support.

I'm not sure if we set the final price or the company that handles the transaction. I expect it's the latter.

luczed
First Lieutenant

Unread postby luczed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply. I have actually bought the game now even with that price difference, because the game is simply amazing and the developers deserve that money. Still I think it's fairer to apply the same price to different countries when taxes and laws permit it. Thanks again.

fierman
Captain

Unread postby fierman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:21 am

Still odd though, I bought the dlc from this website, and I paid 8.54 euro, including VAT. That would amount to around 10 us$ indeed. Doesn't seem like inflated price to me at all.

kai
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby kai » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I always read that this is because the VAT is missing from the US price. Frankly, I have no idea how VAT works in the US, but if you just do the math it would check out - 10 $ * 1.19 (for Germany) = 8.62 €, rounded up to a "nice looking" 8,99 €.
As fiermann said, the website charges the exact amount of VAT, and the result is nearly the Steam price as well.

I've already seen A LOT worse than this price difference.