1920x1080 sharp but too small

Ask, comment, read.
Red Dragon
First Lieutenant

1920x1080 sharp but too small

Unread postby Red Dragon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Right now I'm playing UoC on a Full HD laptop and the icons are just too small to be easily readable. (Duh I hear you say :roll: ).

But I don't have this problem just on my tiny laptop screen, though here it's really apparent. At home I also got a very decent 1920x1080 24 inch Monitor for PC gaming and even there the icons still are a too small to be pleasant to "read" at any comfortable distance. Now if I ramp down the resolution to something like 1280×720 or 1600×900 it's much more readable, but obviously everything becomes more blurry and the crisp, sharp, awesome outlines of the original art style are watered down and pixel blur reigns supreme.

1600x900 is a workable compromise for my 24 inch desktop monitor but... you know it's still somehow sad :cry:
According to the steam hardware survey there's really only two main resolutions in gaming right now: 1920x1080 which almost 33% of users have and the widespread 1366 x 768 laptop resolutio at 22%, none of the other resolutions even hit the 8% mark.. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

I imagine most 1920x1080 monitors are still smaller than mine at 24", so I think that cannot be pleasant to look at either.
Is there no other solution than to suck it up and live with blur, or is there a way to "zoom in" a bit without sacrificing the crisp art?

From the epic looks of it I strongly imagine the artwork was done with a vector program, so shouldn't there in principle be a way to scale the art to larger screen resolutions without any quality sacrifices? I'm amazed to find no one else brought this up, considering how prevalent larger resolutions have become in the last years. Are you not bothered by it and just live with the blur, or are you content with squinting your eyes? Or do you know something I don't, like some .ini-editing-wizardry?

Please tell me your thoughts! :)

PS: Big shout out to the developer for fixing me up with a working copy while I'm in the hostpital whilst my steam game seems to be bugged for some reason, you know who you are. :D

spillblood
Major General

Re: 1920x1080 sharp but too small

Unread postby spillblood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 pm

There's actually some "hack" for this, as described here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=468
Will cause blurs though, because your monitor will set to a non-native resolution if you do this (I suppose you have a LCD screen).
Last edited by spillblood on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Dragon
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Red Dragon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Unfortunately my user account is not authorized to access that last thread/subforum.

Maybe you could quote it, if it's not a secret and not too much of a hassle - but hey the explanation of why it can't be scaled won't change the result anyway, though it would be an interesting read. :(

I hope the new upcoming game after the Black Turn DLC will consider this resolution problem however.
Can't wait to know what the next 2x2 game will be. :)

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Sorry, that was in a subsection dedicated to beta tests, I'll quote it, should be no problem because it's not related to the currently running beta, but rather to the forthcoming sequel:
Tomislav Uzelac wrote:regarding fullscreen, resolution etc. we are very limited in what we can do because we depend on an older library to do graphics (SDL 1.2)

For the new game, we have already switched to SDL 2.0, and issues like this one will not happen. Of course it will take a little while until the new game is ready 8-)

You should be able to access the first thread though.

waleeedijaz

Unread postby waleeedijaz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:00 am

Maybe you could quote it, if it's not a secret and not too much of a hassle - but hey the explanation of why it can't be scaled won't change the result anyway, though it would be an interesting read. :(