Unit gain experience defending ?

Ask, comment, read.
nikdav
Colonel

Unit gain experience defending ?

Unread postby nikdav » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:46 pm

An infantry division in 2 turns defend successful 5 times destroying 6 enemy step from 3 enemy divisions, but gain no experience, i think that is a bit strange and unrealistic. I think that on every successful defensive battle a unit will gain at least 1 point of experience, or not ?

Nikdav

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Unit gain experience defending ?

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

I agree with you. I always want to make mechanics as simple as possible but, in this case, I made it too simple.

Spooner seems to be especially in favor of changing this. He actually wrote a full-blown proposal to that effect in the internal wiki. :)

So anyway, this is definitely one of the things that we will be looking to improve for the next game.

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:45 pm

In real war gain experience is independent from success or defeat, and it would be interesting to see the game mechanics with the combat algorithm modified to add +1 experience to both side for every battle independently from result.
Even surviving an air attack gave our troops more experience.

In this case there were another interesting variable against full frontal attack or brutal force approach,
and we must gave more importance to the quality of our troops and take more care adding reinforcement steps.

I think that adding this mod it is not very problematic also in this engine ? :idea: .

Nikdav.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Nik, it's a very reasonable proposal, could you please post it in the Suggestions thread. I read that all the time, and take many good ideas from there.

Certainly the current model can be improved... it's something I'm specifically looking at for the next game.

nikdav wrote:I think that adding this mod it is not very problematic also in this engine ?

Actually it would be pretty difficult, not so much because of the code, but because of the balancing. We will definitely not be making big changes like that for the current game.

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:42 pm

I agree Tomislav ! the balance of all scenarios must be reworked, but in the future could revamp the gameplay and put new life in an already very good engine. But I know your mind is on the next game ( and also my mind wonder on how good must be the next game) :)

Nikdav

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm all for this, as Tomislav says!

EDIT: And also stopping the elite units from getting 7XP by butchering a green unit (which, if we consider the reality of that situation, would probably be mostly surrendering rather than hard fighting).