How to record Unity of Command with Fraps

Ask, comment, read.
Tim James
Lieutenant Colonel

How to record Unity of Command with Fraps

Unread postby Tim James » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:33 am

If you've tried to record UoC with Fraps, you might have noticed it doesn't work right out of the box. Some people use Camtasia Studio as an alternative. I could never get the sound and video to sync up.

I noticed the YouTube user FireWaterGasoline had recorded UoC with Fraps. He told me how he did it.

Go to the General settings tab and click "Monitor Aero Desktop (DWM)." This records your desktop, and it picks up Unity of Command as well. You need to be using an Aero theme (Vista or Windows 7).

Make sure you upgrade to version 3.5.99. Otherwise, you may only see a black screen and a mouse cursor.

I wasn't able to record at 1080p with a good framerate. I had to set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 and record that. I used Nvidia control panel to adjust my monitor/desktop settings to not apply any scaling to the image. Then Fraps recorded 720p without any black bars on any side.

To test it out, I recorded my multiplayer game against Bruce Geryk. See it on YouTube. Bruce and I wrote about this game in a two-part Tim vs. Bruce series. (It's based on the Tom vs. Bruce series.)

adin
Major

Re: How to record Unity of Command with Fraps

Unread postby adin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:18 am

Great tutorial, my problems seem to be solved ;)
greetings!

Sjarlatan
Colonel

Unread postby Sjarlatan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Still not working for me. :(

hnoor0022

Unread postby hnoor0022 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 am

I had to set my desktop resolution to 1280x720 and record that. I used Nvidia control panel to adjust my monitor/desktop settings to not apply any scaling to the image.