What's the bridge asset for?

Ask, comment, read.
Bede19025
Cadet

What's the bridge asset for?

Unread postby Bede19025 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 am

Yes, building/blowing bridges! Ha ha. But seriously, I never find a use for it. What am I missing? Thanks.

Arctic-Nation
Major

Re: What's the bridge asset for?

Unread postby Arctic-Nation » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Bridging allows you to quickly move your forces across a river instead of wasting turns in pushing them over it (which, as you should know, takes two turns if they aren't parked right next to the river already). In some maps, you're starting (or end up) in a situation where your forces are separated from the enemy by a river, with the enemy's strongest units blocking the available bridge (if present at all). Instead of attacking head-on, you can try to muscle your way across the water in a different location (one unit is enough), then build a bridge to allow your troops to move across it in force the next turn. In other situations, building a bridge can even allow you to bypass the enemy completely. In Edelweiss, for example, I've found it absolutely crucial to build a bridge across the north-east river to get my mobile units to the south, instead of taking an extra turn to destroy the enemies blocking the existing bridge.

Additionally, bridges negate the supply penalty across rivers.