Stalingrad impossible to achieve

Ask, comment, read.
Midship
Cadet

Stalingrad impossible to achieve

Unread postby Midship » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm

I know that historically it is the case, but here we are talking about a game...
Whatever angle I take, the scenario is impossible. The constant flow of Russian reinforcement makes every effort totally worthless.
I am not sure making it so tough is a good mean to attract gamers.
I think I am going to quit... Too bad, otherwise I like the game...

spillblood
Major General

Re: Stalingrad impossible to achieve

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:34 am

Actually there are several ways to beat that scenario. My approach was to systematically cut off all enemy resource depots. You can achieve that by breaking through in the north and moving a motorized infantry unit to those two depots in the north (just look at the resource view) and one unit in the south to the two depots there. The AI won't try to take them back due to a certain flaw it has (also mentioned in other threads), so it's always clever to try to take those supply sources. Another possbility is to concentrate all your efforts in the center to quickly reach Stalingrad. You mustn't let the scenario drag on too long, or you'll lose. If you manage to take those supply sources, the enemy units will be out of supply except the ones exactly around Stalingrad and will be easy to wipe out. But this strategy takes longer than a concentrated breakthrough in the center. Just try those two possibilities. BTW, it's advisable in ALL scenarios to concentrate on a certain point with all your power, and then cut off the enemy forces. If you attack the whole front, you'll lose.

Midship
Cadet

Unread postby Midship » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks Spillblood, I'll have another try.
This is one of the toughest wargames l have ever played (and l have tried many as l am 50).

3Form
Major

Unread postby 3Form » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I've recently tried it again through the scenario list (i.e. not through the campaign) and it was still difficult but much easier than I remembered! Actually it's probably easier to get a BV in 8 turns than try and slog it out for the whole 24 turns!

Don't try and cross the bridge that leads into the swamp - it's disastrous! Also remember that you can use the Supply Drop to keep two out of supply units in fighting condition. Make the soviet tanks your priority as they are the only units that can really hurt your troops.

If you are having serious troubles, spend your prestige on the SS division, it will simplify things somewhat :)

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm

3Form wrote:Don't try and cross the bridge that leads into the swamp - it's disastrous!

If you mean the bridge to the north: I'd disagree. You must do that to reach the supply depots located in the north and northeast. Just try to supply the mobile unit doing that using air drops, and don't attack enemy units while doing this. Just remember, the AI won't try to take those depots back. BTW, in a recent multiplayer game I achieved a BV without doing this by simply quickly breaking through in the center. You should also by all means cut off those infantry units nearly pocketed in the middle of the map. This way you can kill 5 or 6 units in the first turns. I did this each time I played the scenario. BTW, I think reaching Stalingrad from the south is nearly impossible, you should concentrate on the defense there. You must reach it from the middle, over those bridges.
Midship wrote:Thanks Spillblood, I'll have another try.
This is one of the toughest wargames l have ever played (and l have tried many as l am 50).

Hehe, and that's the thing I love about it. It's great when you really have to use your wits to beat every single scenario, it challenges your brain. I often spend some time by just analyzing the situation before making any moves. BTW, if you like a really crazy challenge, try out the community scenario "Spring Awakening" available in the community scenarios section of this forum!
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1819
Another thing: If you're playing the original Stalingrad Campaigns Axis campaign, try to spend as little prestige as possible in the previous scenarios. This way you have some strong reinforcements available in Stalingrad.
Regarding the pictures: You should try to cut off those troops marked by all means, either by destroying the infantry unit (left arrows) or the armor (right arrows). Destroying the armor is better. Use airstrikes to suppress it before you attack.
Load the Replay to see how it can be done. This was the single scenario though, not the campaign game.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3Form
Major

Unread postby 3Form » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 pm

I mean the bridge where the weak T-34 unit is in your first image :)

Many times I tried to go through there, but it forces your units to stop and halts your supply too!

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 am

You shouldn't attempt to cross it in the first turn. BTW, view the savegame I've attached. It all depends on speed. You just have to manage to get two or more armored and mobile units near Stalingrad, and the breakthrough has to happen very fast. I guess your units are stopped by the Zones of Control of some adjacent units. Just use the ZOC view to determine where you can move through safely. I'd suggest first destroying those other units, then breaking through to the bridge. If you try to head towards Stalingrad immediately, you'll not succeed, because the AI will cut your forces off.
I mostly used the northern bride, will attach another image that show this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luciffer
Newcomer

Unread postby luciffer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

2013-01-10 20_48_24-2013-01-10 19_42_07-Unity of Command.jpg

I just didn't bother with supply source. Just gave 2 MDs engineer step and attacked forward
bring on a PzD, but that's unnecessary

meiji
Newcomer

Unread postby meiji » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm

I started by pushing from the south, using the central units to cut off the pocket and then leaving the northern units in check. To be honest it was touch and go with the whole thing until the swarm of Romanian reinforcements turned up then I was able to free up all the spare German units to go and finish off Stalingrad. Can't say it was a fantastic victory as I'd lost all but one panzer unit and most of my motorised units too.

Still, a win is a win.

Apocalypse31
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Apocalypse31 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm

spillblood wrote: You must do that to reach the supply depots located in the north and northeast. Just try to supply the mobile unit doing that using air drops, and don't attack enemy units while doing this. Just remember, the AI won't try to take those depots back.

I beat this scenario using this technique. I seized the Axis supply depots with 1 x Motorized Division each. By turn 12 I was able to choke the Soviet defenders, and easily drive to Stalingrad. Tough mission though. Sometimes it feels like the Soviets have an endless supply of men and equipment.