Resource maps

Ask, comment, read.
nikdav
Colonel

Re: Suggestions Thread

Unread postby nikdav » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:28 am

It'd be even cooler if official Soviet military symbology and German military symbology of that time would be introduced as an option. Would make more sense than NATO counters.

I agree, the german symbol are very nice.
I love the maps of Rolf Hinze "Crucible of Combat" with the original divisional symbol.
I think that a 3d version of the german symbol would be fantastic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah, those flags look quite cool. What symbols did the Soviets use?

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 pm

this is a soviet map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Looks pretty cool as well, thanks for sharing those pictures, Nikdav. I love military and historical maps. Found some geological/ building material maps of European Russia at the attic of the Geological institute where I was studying at that time some years ago when I had to take part in moving the rock/fossil collection to another university (and partly in just throwing away material). I still have them. Should try to do scans or make photos some time, they aren't in good shape because they were used as filling/packing material for rock samples, but they still look pretty good. According to the legend of those maps they were issued by the Wehrmacht, SS and Organization Todt, and they are parts of a bigger map. Think that stuff was intended for post-war German colonization of Russia if the Nazis would have won the war, or for building up military installations there (to know where the building materials could be found).

nikdav
Colonel

Unread postby nikdav » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:28 am

Interesting.......the german maps are generally very informative of the axis side but the russian forces are almost "barbarian ordes"......the russian maps indeed are full of info on both side. There are some maps from the magazine "Frontovaya Illyustratsia" that are simply fantastic. They are as a dream for historical wargames.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:43 pm

nikdav wrote:Interesting.......the german maps are generally very informative of the axis side but the russian forces are almost "barbarian hordes"...

Yeah, it was like this until the collapse of the Soviet Union, until then all German military history books covered only the German perspective, because details on Russian strategies etc. were unknown. BTW, have a look at this russian web page, great flash animation on the course of the entire war on the Eastern Front (with accounts of war veterans, photos etc.):
http://english.pobediteli.ru/
BTW, is the magazine you mentioned available somewhere, Nikdav, maybe even online?
I've attached two photos of the maps I mentioned. They aren't operational/military maps, they rather show raw/building materials. But the descrition on the side of the maps says they were intended for military use. First one shows Wytschii-Wolotschek, according to the legend northeast of Rshew, the second one the area east of Kiew. I should really try to get them scanned at some copyshop or so. But the problem is: My flat is in a cellar, where it's pretty moist, so I store them at my parent's home, because they'd get damaged there for sure (my books are slowly rotting there, which is pretty annoying).

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:27 pm

@nikdav, @spillblood: can you please continue the maps discussion outside the suggestion thread? I'm using this thread as a long-term repository for ideas on the game. Day to day discussions should go in a separate thread.

@2xPelin: can you separate the map-related posts into a new thread? I'm intrigued by these resource maps, would like to see a high-resolution scan.

Thx! :)

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah, would be cool if one of the mods could move those posts into a new thread. I'm pretty sure Nikdav has more Soviet maps to share. The previous ones were pretty great.
Tomislav Uzelac wrote:I'm intrigued by these resource maps, would like to see a high-resolution scan.

I'd love to go to a copyshop to do this, would need to get some kind of protection for them first, though (best would be a waterproof case, so that I can store them in my flat).

2xPelin
2x2 Games

Resource maps

Unread postby 2xPelin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 pm

spillblood
Major General

Re: Resource maps

Unread postby spillblood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

2xPelin wrote:Posts moved from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=563

Should I also move: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=563&start=50#p5557 ?

Yeah, it belongs to those other posts. The stuff went a bit in the wrong suggestion, the original purpose was to show some historical map symbols that could be used as an alternative to the 3D models, which I think would be a better solution than standard wargame counters. You should leave the post before the one you linked to, because it's more in line with the purpose of the thread.