Step Recovery Question

Ask, comment, read.
monkspider
Cadet

Step Recovery Question

Unread postby monkspider » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 am

Hey guys,

A newbie here, I just received Unity of Command as a Christmas present, and I have a question about recovering steps on units. I know how you can purchase steps from the OKH reserve but in the manual it says that units that are in supply can automatically recover a certain amount of steps each turn, depending on their veteran status. Perhaps I am misreading this, but my units that I pulled to the rear never seem to recover. Is there something I am missing here?

Shatner
First Lieutenant

Re: Step Recovery Question

Unread postby Shatner » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:54 pm

There are two kinds of ways a unit's steps can be reduced: destroyed steps and suppressed steps. Destroyed steps are removed and are never coming back, regardless of supplies. The only way to replace destroyed steps are to reinforce the unit with steps you got from reorganizing other units. Suppressed steps are turned gray instead of removed. Suppressed steps don't contribute to that unit's fighting potential (e.g. a german infantry with 4 active steps fights just as well as a german infantry with 4 active steps and 3 suppressed steps), but they transform back into active steps at a certain rate at the beginning of each turn the unit starts with supplies. A green unit will re-activate one step. A normal, non-veteran unit will have two suppressed steps become active per turn supplied, and each level of veterancy increases the number of steps reactivated by one.

A unit's steps can become suppressed as a result of combat; generally if a unit is too weak to actually destroy a step, it will suppress a step instead. A unit's steps can be suppressed by being out of supplies for two or more consecutive turns. Each time a unit overruns an enemy position (attacks and then is allowed to attack again) one-to-two of it's steps are suppressed. Steps that have just been added to a unit via reinforcement start suppressed (so they won't contribute to the unit for a least one turn). Finally, air strikes are weighted to suppress steps more often than to destroy steps.

Hope this clears things up for you.

monkspider
Cadet

Re: Step Recovery Question

Unread postby monkspider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:37 am

That helps a great deal, thank you!