AI should try harder to recapture supply centres

Ask, comment, read.
ralph-moeritz
Cadet

AI should try harder to recapture supply centres

Unread postby ralph-moeritz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:15 am

I'm loving UOC at the moment & can't wait to try Red Turn. I was quite impressed by the AI, which plays a good game, responding well to developments on my side. One thing that bugs me though is how easy it is to defeat the AI once you've captured some enemy supply centres. The problem IMO is that the AI doesn't try hard enough to recapture lost supply centres. I know if I lose supply I'm doomed, so I try my best to recapture but the AI carries on as though nothing has happened! This seems to be the case even in 1.04. Please can we have an update to fix this?

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Re: AI should try harder to recapture supply centres

Unread postby ComradeP » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am

We initially had more supply sources in the central portion of the maps and not just on the map edges, but after a discussion most of those were removed. I can always add them again later. I agree that the AI isn't good at recapturing its supply sources, just like at the moment it isn't great at relieving pocketed units, but we're working on it.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah, this is the biggest AI problem. In the original game, a good way to win the hard Stalingrad scenario was to simply capture all supply centers. This doomed all unit amassing around Stalingrad except the ones directly around the city.

ralph-moeritz
Cadet

Unread postby ralph-moeritz » Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am

I just want to reiterate that this is a big issue (for me anyway). I don't play UoC anymore because it's simply too easy to win by capturing supply sources. Please could the developers make an effort to modify the AI so it tries to recapture supply sources instead of just carrying on as though nothing has happened. I want to buy Red Turn but don't see the point if there's no challenge...

ironbmike
First Lieutenant

Unread postby ironbmike » Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 pm

ralph-moeritz wrote:I just want to reiterate that this is a big issue (for me anyway). I don't play UoC anymore because it's simply too easy to win by capturing supply sources. Please could the developers make an effort to modify the AI so it tries to recapture supply sources instead of just carrying on as though nothing has happened. I want to buy Red Turn but don't see the point if there's no challenge...

Multiplayer ;)

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:37 pm

ralph-moeritz wrote:I just want to reiterate that this is a big issue (for me anyway). I don't play UoC anymore because it's simply too easy to win by capturing supply sources. Please could the developers make an effort to modify the AI so it tries to recapture supply sources instead of just carrying on as though nothing has happened. I want to buy Red Turn but don't see the point if there's no challenge...

Depends on the scenario. In Red Turn they've often placed them in a way that this strategy/exploit isn't useful. But I'd like to see that corrected, especially because the game puts such a high emphasis on the supply network system. It's strange that the AI tries to cut your supply network at every possible opportunity, often by capturing your supply centers, but doesn't try to protect it's own supply centers.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 am

spillblood wrote:I'd like to see that corrected

It's easy to play with this in the scenario editor, just place a "Defend Position" AI hint in the supply source hex.

You might want to change the hint's default strategy from "in, around, front" to something else. Just "in" will park a unit there to defend, or you can form a front with the "front" strategy.

You can try several variants, see which works best. Post your results under "Community Scenarios" if you think you've found something that works well.

Cheers,

Tomislav