Red Turn DLC

Ask, comment, read.
runequester
Cadet

Re: Red Turn NOW AVAILABLE

Unread postby runequester » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 am

I will grab this when I get paid Friday, no doubt.

I will second the desire for a 1941 campaign. Another option, in keeping with the east theme might be the soviet push into Manchuria in 45

Grenator
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby Grenator » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 am

Yay, can't wait for the term to end to grab this one.

Question: does the campaign map span all over the Eastern Front with the Red Turn? I'm thinking about some scenario ideas, but they're too far north for the vanilla game.

Suggestion: as a possible direction for further DLCs, look for Soviet-Japanese conflicts. They're completely overlooked, although Khalkhin Gol and August 1945 should be fun and up to scale for this game.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am

runequester wrote:Another option, in keeping with the east theme might be the soviet push into Manchuria in 45.

Grenator wrote:Suggestion: as a possible direction for further DLCs, look for Soviet-Japanese conflicts. They're completely overlooked, although Khalkhin Gol and August 1945 should be fun and up to scale for this game.

Great idea! Especially Grenator's suggestion, because the border skirmish in Mongolia was the reason Japan didn't declare war on the Soviet Union when Germany invaded. Additionally, it was the conflict where General Zhukov, one of the most important Soviet Commanders, proved himself worthy to Stalin.
Grenator wrote:Question: does the campaign map span all over the Eastern Front with the Red Turn? I'm thinking about some scenario ideas, but they're too far north for the vanilla game.

It does! Just look into the scenario editor, it also covers a large area of Scandinavia, if you want to create scenarios in the North. Hell, it even reaches into the Netherlands and parts of France in the West! The difference to the main game's map is that only a certain part of the Caucasus is covered (not the whole region). It's several times the size of the main game's map, I guess this is also the cause why the loading times in the DLC are longer than in the base game.

ComradeP
Brigadier General

Unread postby ComradeP » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

In all honesty: though the map includes parts of Scandinavia and Western Europe, they don't have the terrain, rail lines or cities they should have. They're just clear hexes on the map at the moment.

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm

ComradeP wrote:In all honesty: though the map includes parts of Scandinavia and Western Europe, they don't have the terrain, rail lines or cities they should have. They're just clear hexes on the map at the moment.

OK, so further DLCs covering this would either require a new map or modifying the existing one. So I guess an 1941 DLC would be the best idea to do next.
BTW, if you do another one, please take your time again and deliver a thing that's as massive as Red Turn. I absolutely think this method is way better than half-baked, tiny mini-dlcs and offers a lot more value for money!

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Red Turn DLC

Unread postby Danielefc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 pm

I would love some finnish scenarios - or add that part of the map so the community can make 'em :).

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm

Danielefc wrote:I would love some finnish scenarios - or add that part of the map so the community can make 'em :).

As the developers have stated, the problem with Finnish maps is the scale of the map, especially with the Continuation War. But I guess Winter War 1939 would be possible, because it also involved Soviet attacks in Eastern Finland (north of the Karelian Isthmus).
EDIT: As the map only shows the southern part of Finland (which is featureless at present), this'd also be a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie61
Cadet

Unread postby Richie61 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

The 1941 campaign would be awesome! I am having so much enjoyment from the base game & DLC, you have my money on the next add-on!

spillblood
Major General

Unread postby spillblood » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Richie61 wrote:The 1941 campaign would be awesome! I am having so much enjoyment from the base game & DLC, you have my money on the next add-on!

I agree. But please, as I've stated before, take your time, if you manage to release something as big as Red Turn again, I guess the fans will be VERY pleased, because this one is HUGE. Maybe a concentration on different addons/scenarios would do some good, like in Red Turn, where ComradeP did all the scenarios. He seem to be able to do AWESOME Eastern Front scenarios. Why not let him work on the 1941 scenario (where he doesn't need to modify the map too heavily), and let Tomislav, Nenad etc. concentrate on the Western Front (because there they need to do more rule revisions, a new map etc.)?
But I guess, since some really good community scenarios have been released in the last weeks (look here: viewforum.php?f=52 !!), there'll be much more to expect from the community as well!
What it needs most, and what should be introduced with subsequent patches, are more multiplayer scenarios and refinements to multiplayer rules (look here, I've made some suggestions, and add anything you find useful for the developers: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=658&start=10). It's great that we have a lot of interaction with the devs themselves here, I've made some quite contrasting experiences on other Indie games, namely World Supremacy by Shrapnel Games, clearly the worst experience I've ever had in a game community, with moderators and devs who couldn't understand or tolerate criticism and tried to suppress any of that by simply shutting down threads etc.! The worst thing is that they still sell this heavily unfinished game for full price - really idiotic commercial decisions! Hope I don't offend any other users with these views, I really tried to be friendly over there, and actually to HELP them, but they always reacted extremely hateful, and there was kind of a flamestorm by the community in the forum directed against the devs and Shrapnel (for good reasons, I was really angry I had paid so much for an unfinished game the dev wasn't willing to work on further!). I guess things like that won't happen here, because 2xGames clearly show a LOT more effort than Shrapnel and Malfador Machinations.
Hehe, actually 2012 saw one of the biggest devs move away from them, namely Digital Eel, who clearly were unsatisfied that there game was only available there and extremely overpriced. They completely pulled their whole roster from Shrapnel Games. BTW, if you're interested in a light space exploration game, head over here: http://www.infinitespacegames.com/ This is especially true if you like FTL, which was clearly influenced by their Infinite Space series, or Star Control 2, in this case, you owe yourself to try out Weird Worlds!
BTW, Shrapnel also is worth visiting, especially if you like the old SSI game Steel Panthers, they distribute free, heavily updated versions called SPMBT and SPWW2:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Works ... _page.html
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Works ... _page.html
If you want even more features for them, like higher resolutions, you can buy them there, but they're fully functional in their free versions as well!

Cool, just discovered another free treat at Matrix (Gary Grigsby's War in Russia Matrix Edition!):
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/236/downloads/
You should also give Matrix' version of Steel Panther's a try, which was done by the original devs of the game. The version without campaigns is free like Shrapnel's Steel Panthers games (which do have campaigns though!):
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/297/downloads/

Those games cover different scales as Unity of Command though, so they kind of complement it!