Stalingrad?

Ask, comment, read.
YeboSlik
Cadet

Stalingrad?

Unread postby YeboSlik » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Well, it seems like someone is preparing the ground for more campaigns. Even the biggest doesn't call their movies:

Terminator 1
Matrix 1 (even though they MADE all three)
etc.

Tomislav, share some...

Centy
First Lieutenant

Re: Stalingrad?

Unread postby Centy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 am

Well one would assume when the initial tech and code is in place it would be, relatively, simple to make new campaigns. Still I think they are starting with a good one.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Yeah we can, and probably will, do other campaigns but it's not as trivial as it may seem.

There's research to be done, units to be modeled, we'd have to update the map... Also the game as it is now does not support simply "dropping in a DLC" in any way. We would have to go through some substantial code updates first.

We're really focused on doing Stalingrad Campaign right at the time. Later, we'll see...

Centy
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Centy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Yeah we can, and probably will, do other campaigns but it's not as trivial as it may seem.

Oh I never said it was trivial I just thought the actual coding would be the real hard bit the rest would be campaign specific and the usual tweaking. I have a habit of not quite expressing that exactly.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 pm

No, I got what you meant...

I am actually quite interested in what other campaigns people find interesting. I just don't want to make it seem like we can crank those out serially once Stalingrad Campaign is out.

Centy
First Lieutenant

Unread postby Centy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:No, I got what you meant...

I am actually quite interested in what other campaigns people find interesting. I just don't want to make it seem like we can crank those out serially once Stalingrad Campaign is out.

I would love to see some of the lesser know battles. Perhaps the infamous Winter War or perhaps the opportunity to repel the Germans as one of the nations that didn't manage to throw them back such as Poland or Norway. Obviously I would love to see some of the operations the British were involved in in Italy or even a theoretical invasion of the UK. I certainly like the idea of campaigns that are not so well known in the west because Normandy has been done to death and despite how bloody the fighting was the majority of combat on the Pacific would be quite dull for a war game because it was all island fighting.

But as you said priority is to get Stalingrad done to perfection before thinking about other ideas. Just don't give me an opening for suggestions like that I think I have proved I get carried away. :)

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Interesting choices. It's OK to speculate btw.. now that I posted the disclaimer that is ;-)

illegalusername
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby illegalusername » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 am

Centy wrote:
Tomislav Uzelac wrote:No, I got what you meant...

I would love to see some of the lesser know battles. Perhaps the infamous Winter War or perhaps the opportunity to repel the Germans as one of the nations that didn't manage to throw them back such as Poland or Norway. Obviously I would love to see some of the operations the British were involved in in Italy or even a theoretical invasion of the UK. I certainly like the idea of campaigns that are not so well known in the west because Normandy has been done to death and despite how bloody the fighting was the majority of combat on the Pacific would be quite dull for a war game because it was all island fighting.

But as you said priority is to get Stalingrad done to perfection before thinking about other ideas. Just don't give me an opening for suggestions like that I think I have proved I get carried away. :)

Good ideas there! I'd especially love to see both the Winter War and the "Continuation War", but i don't know how the game engine would bend around those :)

The African campaign could also be nice

Spooner
Brigadier General

Unread postby Spooner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 am

I'd vote for Africa/Italy too, as not quite so well-trodden ground. Normandy has been done to death, but I also think that it is very important for the American market. For Normandy and Market Garden, I think you might have to re-think supplies for paratroopers, but I suppose it might be fine just giving less supply drops than units of troops cut off.

That said, I'd start with a couple more Eastern Front campaigns though, since I suspect there is still plenty left undone and the investment of time would be least. Just need to ensure that there is something new and original in there so you aren't just recycling.

willard
Captain

Unread postby willard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:12 am

I think Bagration would be quite spectacular. I realize it would involve, what, 5 or 6 campaigns similar to Stalingrad by itself to be played at once lol. One can dream though...