Funky Mac OS Version

Post your technical problems here.
Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Funky Mac OS Version

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Hi Gareth,

yeah sorry, we're getting a few reports now with these Radeon Pros. We have no idea for the moment why this is happening.

The artifacts - do they appear regardless of the graphics settings (Low/Medium/High)?

sugrr+
Newcomer

Unread postby sugrr+ » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 pm

I just purchased UOC 2 and using a 2020 macbook air. the right/left click function on my touchpad doesn't get a response when using it for 'supply'... any suggestions? thanks tom

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:28 am

Hi, thanks for reporting. I'm not sure I understand what is the problem.

Could you please describe in more detail what you're trying to do here?
sugrr+ wrote:the right/left click function on my touchpad doesn't get a response when using it for 'supply'

ksmyaxe
Newcomer

Unread postby ksmyaxe » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 am

I am having the same issue with the video artifact on my iMac. It makes an otherwise great game intolerable. I have the same graphics card, but a newer mouse.

Help,

Shawn Stark
925/788-4648
[email protected]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aco
Cadet

Unread postby aco » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi,

As Tomislav pointed out, there are still some issues with Radeon Cards and we are still debugging the issue.
The artifacts are cause by these 2 (effects) settings under video:
* Water Reflections
* Ambient Occlusion
Turning them off removes the artifacts.

To help with the performance (making map movements more fluid) try turning off vsync (under general settings) and set frame rate limit to 30, this works without having to sacrifice to much quality (eg. turning everything to low).
If that does not help try turning every setting to low and turning off all other effects.
Sometimes it is not enough just to change the settings but you need to exit the game and start it again as it seems the driver gets in a bad state.

We also released a small update to the testing branch on steam which makes the game prefer the integrated graphics (intel) card to the discrete one (radeon). It works much better using the integrated card as long as the system is allowed to use it (eg. plugging in an external monitor forces the usage of the discrete card). There is a utility called gfxCardStatus which can tell which graphics card is being used by the system atm.

Please test and report.
Kind Regards

steam testing branch https://steamcommunity.com/app/809230/discussions/2/3003297945133220808/

gfxCardStatus https://gfx.io/

quagmiremonkey
Cadet

Unread postby quagmiremonkey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:55 pm

I am suffering from the same ghosting left by units and supply barrels. No improvement after turning off vsync and setting frame rate limit to 30.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

So excited about this beautiful game! Godspeed in your debugging.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:22 pm

@quagmiremonkey: have you tried turning off Water Reflections and Ambient Occlusion?

Also, switching to the Testing Branch should give you a slightly different build - we are trying out different things to see if we can nail the cause of this. Please report if you tried the testing (beta) branch and if it changes things for you at all.

Cheers!

quagmiremonkey
Cadet

Unread postby quagmiremonkey » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:23 am

I have tried the following two setups with the normal build. Both resulted in the ghosting.

I will look for the testing branch version and report back.

vsync off
frame rate limit to 30
(DEFAULT) smoothing = FXAA
(DEFAULT) texture quality = high
(DEFAULT) anisotropic filtering = 8x
(DEFAULT) terrain quality = high
(DEFAULT) shadow quality = medium
(DEFAULT) OFF = soft shadows, bloom, ambient occlusion, water reflections
(DEFAULT) ON = fog, unit drop shadows

vsync off
frame rate limit to 30
smoothing = off
texture quality = low
anisotropic filtering = 1x
terrain quality = low
shadow quality = off
(DEFAULT) OFF = soft shadows, bloom, ambient occlusion, water reflections
OFF = fog, unit drop shadows

quagmiremonkey
Cadet

Unread postby quagmiremonkey » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:48 am

I just noticed that the ghosting disappears entirely if one switches from fullscreen->window or window->fullscreen. This works with video settings on high or low and with vsync on or off.

Using the test branch, the ghosting is identical. It appears in high and low quality settings and can be fixed with the window switch above.

gfxCardStatus won't run on an imac, so I could not confirm which card was being used by the test branch.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:49 am

@quagmiremonkey: thanks!

We are still investigating the ghosting issue. In the meantime, I have uploaded a new build to Steam that tells Mac OS it can run the game on the integrated GPU.

You don't need to go to the beta branch for this, it is now enabled for all users.

Please report if it gets rid of "ghosting". If not, please post your ~/Documents/.uoc2/log.txt here.

Cheers!