Funky Mac OS Version

Post your technical problems here.
uocminchy
Cadet

Re: Funky Mac OS Version

Unread postby uocminchy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 am

garethtrussell wrote:First time posting here. I've been a massive Unity of Command fan for the last few years, and was really excited to snag UoC 2 on Steam recently to play on my Mac. However, I've not been having a lot of joy with playing it. I know that it's very new on MacOS of course -- but currently, it's essentially unplayable with two big issues: performance and graphical bugs.

Came here to post something very similar. Just bought the game & expansion today after learning that they (finally! :D ) got ported to Mac, but I can't bother going through the tutorial as the performance is terrible. Not at all what I experienced in UoC1, nor what I experience when I install and try the game on W10 in bootcamp. I'm on a 15" MBP w a 2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM, and a Radeon Pro 560X. :(

quagmiremonkey
Cadet

Unread postby quagmiremonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:39 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Please report if it gets rid of "ghosting". If not, please post your ~/Documents/.uoc2/log.txt here.

The ghosting is still there, and can still be cured by switching from from fullscreen to window.

I am sorry, I am unable to find the document you requested, nor can I find anything with a similar path. I used the Mac OS Finder "Find" to search "This Mac". I am not an OS expert, but I think this search would reveal any matches.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am

Sorry this topic fell through the cracks somehow :oops:

quagmiremonkey wrote:I am sorry, I am unable to find the document you requested, nor can I find anything with a similar path.

Please fire up Terminal, paste the following and hit ENTER:

Code: Select all

cat ~/Documents/.uoc2/log.txt | pbcopy

This will copy the log contents into the clipboard, and you can just paste them (CMD-V) in your reply here.

If unsure of what is Terminal and how to start it, click here.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am

uocminchy wrote:performance is terrible

We have adjusted the default video settings on mac OS to help out with performance. The easiest thing to do is to delete the settings file: ~/Documents/.uoc2/settings.yml

The game will then create a new settings file with the adjusted video settings when it starts up.

uocminchy wrote: nor what I experience when I install and try the game on W10 in bootcamp.

We too are puzzled by the performance of the ATI mac driver in this case. In your case with bootcamp, it is literally the same hardware, and it's the same code/shaders on our side. The only differentiator is the driver, and the performance is... not great :x

Anyway, hope the solution above helps out at least a little bit. :)

Cheers!

Stratus
Newcomer

Unread postby Stratus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 am

Hello. Just bought the game on Steam. Running on 2015 iMac.

- I can confirm ghosting workaround by going from full screen to window and back.
- As others have mentioned, graphic performance is poor, especially considering this is a wargame with no complex models or animation (this is a machine that runs 3D games — e.g. Shadows of Mordor or Rise of the Tomb Raisder — perfectly fine). I have to disable all effects and run on medium settings to get acceptable gameplay.

Any ideas on when these issues might get fixed?

Thanks a lot.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 pm

I agree the performance is poor.

We have no ideas: the game is running identical code and shaders on the mac as it does on Windows.

You can check out the user report earlier in this thread: when playing the game in Windows 10 via bootcamp, on the same hardware, the performance is much better than natively on macOS. The only differentiator, as far as we can tell, are the AMD win/mac drivers.

This is not to say we've given up: we found a workaround for nvidia cards on macOS recently. But I can't give any promises, as the driver situation is clearly out of our control.

Cheers!