Possible Market Garden semi-exploit

Ask, comment, read.
AgentTBC
Second Lieutenant

Possible Market Garden semi-exploit

Unread postby AgentTBC » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:54 am

I noticed this before but it actually mattered this time around on my non-historical playthrough so I thought I'd ask about it. As everyone knows you can end a scenario early if you capture all the objectives. Usually this is great since you'll just be in a mopping up phase and maybe you don't want to bother and it's only a turn or two anyway. But in Market Garden that lets you cheese the scenario by dropping tons of airborne guys up at Arnhem, grabbing all the objectives on like turn 2 or 3, and then hitting END scenario even though you haven't even linked up the Arnhem bridgehead with the Brits coming to relieve them.

There should be another objective on the little island or isthmus thing between Arnhem and Nijmegen to make sure you have to have the entire bridgehead secure before you end turn. Actually ideally you should have to hold Arnhem for a couple turns longer but this would at least mean you linked up rather than ending the scenario successfully while there are still Nazis cutting off the Arnhem pocket. Uh, I guess this was all more of a statement and suggestion than a question but that's ok.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Possible Market Garden semi-exploit

Unread postby Danielefc » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:03 pm

With so many airborne divisions present.... It is nigh impossible to close all the potential exploits in this one. I don't think there is any "fixing" this issue, but I'll have a look.

Having said that, we appreciate feedback like this and we always aim to close any loopholes people find in the game whenever possible.

Cheers!

AgentTBC
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby AgentTBC » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:54 am

Right, this is a real low priority issue obviously. It is likely I would have linked the bridgehead in one additional turn. So the only difference is that I probably would have lost one of the paradrop cards I used to KIA from the panzers attacking, but I still would have held all the objectives and won.

Eqqman
Captain

Unread postby Eqqman » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:52 pm

AgentTBC wrote:But in Market Garden that lets you cheese the scenario by dropping tons of airborne guys up at Arnhem, grabbing all the objectives on like turn 2 or 3, and then hitting END scenario even though you haven't even linked up the Arnhem bridgehead with the Brits coming to relieve them.

I don't know how it is considered 'cheese' to use airborne troops to seize objectives in a scenario that is designed to highlight airborne troops. I get the idea that the battle would feel more 'real' if the supply line being open could be part of the victory conditions, but let's be honest here- there are many scenarios you can win even though your troops would be in an untenable position realistically or if the enemy AI was programmed to waste all of its manpower clearing you out of objectives on the final turn. Likewise you can easily clear out the whole map on Overlord on Normal difficulty but then it's packed again with enemy troops in Battle of the Bocage. I wouldn't call this issue one that having the developers go out of their way to address gives any real benefit, unless a 'have all units be in supply' objective is easy to program.