Victory objective description

Ask, comment, read.
NightPhoenix
Captain

Victory objective description

Unread postby NightPhoenix » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:58 am

Hello,

Short question. In UOC1 the victory objectives had one or a few short few sentences description as to why it was so important to take that certain city.

For example:(in Kharkov 42') Izium: Command and supply center for the Soviet offensive towards Kharkov.

Personally i thought that was great. Short, straightforward reason why i need to take an objective. Besides the scenario description, which provides some info, i think re-implementing this would really help with the storytelling aspect of the game and give people a straight obvious motivation why you are playing this scenario and get the objectives. I understand Overlord is important, but why do i need to take the Capriquet Airfield? or the Pegasus bridge? Sure i can read up on that on wikipedia, but wouldn't it be nicer to have that info in the game? Again, i think that system in UOC1 was perfect in that regard, short and efficient.

Any chances of seeing that back in UOC2 somewhere along the road? Not sure on other people, but i think for me that would tilt an already great game, even further.

Regards,

Night Phoenix

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Victory objective description

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am

Our thinking when removing the descriptions was two-fold:

1. For maybe half of objectives we don't really have that much to say. Izium was indeed important for being the neck of the Soviet bulge south of Kharkov, but many other objectives are there simply to round out the scenario. We ended up saying "Important place" and "Center of something" quite a lot in the descriptions. :)

2. Objective descriptions are similar to tooltips in that they are incredibly difficult to write. I can do maybe a handful a day and I'm not even kidding.

I'd say the chances of seeing them in UoC2 are quite slim, sorry. This is mostly for reason #2, though as always never say never. We are working on improvements to the game, but e.g. a better tutorials are more of a priority.

Cheers!

NightPhoenix
Captain

Unread postby NightPhoenix » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:37 am

No worries. Thanks for the straight answer!

funky_trader
Major

Unread postby funky_trader » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:Our thinking when removing the descriptions was two-fold:

1. For maybe half of objectives we don't really have that much to say. Izium was indeed important for being the neck of the Soviet bulge south of Kharkov, but many other objectives are there simply to round out the scenario. We ended up saying "Important place" and "Center of something" quite a lot in the descriptions. :)

2. Objective descriptions are similar to tooltips in that they are incredibly difficult to write. I can do maybe a handful a day and I'm not even kidding.

I'd say the chances of seeing them in UoC2 are quite slim, sorry. This is mostly for reason #2, though as always never say never. We are working on improvements to the game, but e.g. a better tutorials are more of a priority.

Cheers!

I was actually also wondering this. And I never noticed how they all looked alike lol. But as NightPhoenix said, it really improved the story telling of the scenario

If you ever find the time, I think it would be a great idea. But obviously not a priority