Supply Headaches

Ask, comment, read.
General Retreat
Second Lieutenant

Supply Headaches

Unread postby General Retreat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:31 am

My units are always running out of supply and I can't create new supply dumps closer to the front. Am I missing something? I just finished playing Husky as a single scenario in preparation for my Campaign Husky battle and my American units to the west were all our of supply and even the British on the right ran out. I moved the HQs up but could not extend supply. :cry:

Have to admit: I still won (Normal) but couldn't hang onto the western objectives. And both of my airborne were wiped out.

sourdust
Brigadier General

Re: Supply Headaches

Unread postby sourdust » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 am

I suspect what you have missed is the ability to decrease supply dumps, in order to free up trucks (= supply dump "points") to create new supply dumps closer to the front.

When you are in the supply view, you can subtract trucks from an existing supply dump, including reducing it all the way to 0, which disbands the supply dump. This frees up those trucks, with a 1-turn delay, to create new supply dumps.

Note you can do this in the pre-battle deployment phase as well (for those scenarios that have one), but with no delay - so in effect you can set up your starting supply dump network exactly as you want it.

Cheers and good luck!

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 pm

@General Retreat: I also wrote a bit in this blog post about how supply works:
https://unityofcommand.net/blog/2019/11 ... -diary-25/

Cheers!

General Retreat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby General Retreat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks for replying. I find the Logistics tutorial does not work as stated. I cannot place a supply hub in Alexandria after taking it. In fact, I cannot place a hub any closer than the original hub! Well, I can place one to the "south" by the river, but the broken bridge makes it worthless there. Only when I move infantry towards Alexandria, gaining control of the RR, can I place a hub in Alexandria. Not sure I even need it by then.

Hey, while I have your attention. where can I learn about Prestige? Seems like I can't use it. Only when I get that window with three options.

Thanks again.

General Retreat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby General Retreat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 pm

sourdust wrote:I suspect what you have missed is the ability to decrease supply dumps, in order to free up trucks (= supply dump "points") to create new supply dumps closer to the front.

When you are in the supply view, you can subtract trucks from an existing supply dump, including reducing it all the way to 0, which disbands the supply dump. This frees up those trucks, with a 1-turn delay, to create new supply dumps.

Note you can do this in the pre-battle deployment phase as well (for those scenarios that have one), but with no delay - so in effect you can set up your starting supply dump network exactly as you want it.

Cheers and good luck!

Now I'm understanding it. :D Didn't allow for the one-turn delay. I've been watching Sampstra's videos but she goes fast and I couldn't see what she did to create a hub. Thanks for the tip--actually insight.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

General Retreat wrote:where can I learn about Prestige?

I remember sourdust writing down a pretty comprehensive "guide" about spending prestige in one of the forum posts, but I can't seem to find it now.

As far as just the basics are concerned, you can spend the prestige to:
  • buy reinforcements (during battle preparation only). Look for the "store" icon on the HQ bar, next to deploy (arrow down) and reorg (recycle arrow)
  • upgrade HQs and buy cards in the campaign map (during conferences only). A conference starts when the cards drop (it also says "CONFERENCE" in the UI)

Cheers!

General Retreat
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby General Retreat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks. I'll watch for that.