Please Help! Worried that Entire campaign is ruined

Ask, comment, read.
Rfranke727
Cadet

Please Help! Worried that Entire campaign is ruined

Unread postby Rfranke727 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:41 am

So I am on the Scheldt scenario. Basically I was supposed to upgrade my HQ at conference to be able to cross a major river. I only have 9 turns to beat this scenario and because I didn't upgrade HQ in conference, or get enough air support I cannot find a way to best this scenario.

Basically is there any way to get back to a conference to make some of the changes? Otherwise I think my entire 33 hour playthrough is ruined because I cannot find a way to beat this scenario in 9 turns with my current setup.

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Re: Please Help! Worried that Entire campaign is ruined

Unread postby genBrooks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:02 am

Could you attach a screenshot with actual view of your HQs ?
What diff. level you play ? What cards do you have?

Rfranke727
Cadet

Unread postby Rfranke727 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Here is an image of where I am at
I know if I take Breskens Pocket I get naval bombardment but I only have 9 turns. Big mistake is that I didnt upgrade my HQ for rive crossings.

Only way I have come close is that I take Woensdrect, and then I kill all the steps for the unit over the bridge. I have to save my saturation strike because, if lucky enough, the strike can completely kill the unit and then I can cross.
I find my self not having enough time to take Welcheren.

Again, I mainly screwed up at conference and at this point there is no way to go back, so unless I get seriously lucky I feel that I am at a stand still and will not put 30 more hours into the campaign just to get back here.

https://imgur.com/a/lTwMI90

https://imgur.com/a/lTwMI90

funky_trader
Major

Unread postby funky_trader » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Ouch! Do you have any prestige to reinforce your starting units? Your starting situation is even worse than the standalone scenario, which is already quite hard. A lack of river crossing is not necessarily the end of the game, but having so few units that can use artillery is a big issue

Eqqman
Captain

Unread postby Eqqman » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Hello-

I am finding myself in the same boat, and the solution seems to be to restart the whole campaign unless there is some way the campaign can be reset to the last conference. The Scheldt scenario (campaign version) is basically unwinnable unless the player knows in advance that the 1st Canadian needs to be upgraded to have amphibious assaults. Given how late this HQ appears in the campaign there is little reason for the player to know this which makes for a poor design. I also notice that the assault boats come late in this HQ's tree compared to US ones, making the prestige cost also an issue.

Without the riverine assaults you need an RNG miracle to either eliminate or retreat the units blocking bridges via artillery or air power alone. A simple fix would be to allow the 1st Canadian to start the campaign with the required abilities to win the scenario that highlights them, or give players naval/air drop assault cards as objective awards in the areas that the player can actually access on the map. It's also a bit of an issue that all other scenarios appear to be locked until you complete this one, denying the player a chance to skip it in hopes of earning the cards which will allow them to win.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:27 pm

@Eqqman: in the campaign screen, go to Menu -> Restart from Last Conference.

Eqqman
Captain

Unread postby Eqqman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:17 pm

This works, but is not an ideal solution as apparently players are forced to take a score penalty to do so.

As I continue to move through the campaign for the first time I am discovering this is apparently a known issue- entering the conference to start the invasion of Germany proper there is a warning that I need to upgrade no less than 4(!) HQs to have amphibious assault capability. This warning might be fine except for the fact that I'm not coming into the campaign with enough prestige to cover this, so now I'm left wondering if I should even bother trying to finish this campaign, or if I do, which of these 4 HQs can I get away with not upgrading. I've worked as a lead level designer for a game company in the past, so I understand the "players should be able to just deal with it mentality" very well. If you have to warn players that they can't succeed without doing something very specific and also they can't even heed your warning though no fault of their own, the level design is flawed.