Update 10 test

Ask, comment, read.
Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Update 10 test

Unread postby Danielefc » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Yea, welcome back to the ze Germanz :)

You are going to notice a lot of "cornered" in this one since units cannot use their full amount of MPs to retreat (in manual speak: an "A" movement is not allowed during a retreat). This doesn't have much of an impact on the player in the other scenarios which is probably why you are not noticing it until now. It makes the Allied counter strikes even more scary in this one.

I find that deploying a weak unit with rear guard and a clear path of retreat can blunt some of the AI attacks. Plain old infantry screening as cannon fodder is as good as ever. Using Counterattack can work additional wonders... Unless the AI happens to spam some suppresive fire, which it tends to do on large units when possible. So if you are feeling sneaky: you can set a weak unit on rearguard right on the front - the bait. Behind it, setup a "not too strong" armoured unit for counterattack... sneaky sneaky...

Cheers!

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Woot Woot, Victory! Sweet, Complete, Shocking Victory! (Shocking in as everyone is shocked over how many people got killed in that battle, holy moley)

Operation "Hit them on the left, Hit em on the right, hold em on the left, push on the Right" was a complete (ahem) success! A sadly a slight miscalculation meant that the main slugging happened on the right instead of the left like I wanted, but since I managed to take control of Bastogne and the main objective on turn 1 and 2 respectivly I could get the infantry into all that tasty forest and entrench them (mostly) to keep them safe from the absolute shit ton of yankee artillery.

Holy shit my panzer forces got chewed to shreds though, atleast the fuel crisis has been lessened now. I am sure we have time to replace those panzers anyways, as we know the Red Army has expended itself upon the gates of Germany, and now that the Western allies will for sure be forced out of the war we can turn around and push them back no problem! War will be over by next Christmas lads!

(Also wow, the amount of allied stragglers is just ridiculous. The fact that I had a ratio of 2.5 enemy killed/wounded to 4 taken prisoners is kind of ridiculous considering this was a back and forth slugfest, not a complete rout. Honestly why do the western allies have 4 out of 6 steps lost turned into stragglers compared to german 3 out of 6?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Classic Difficulty if anyone is wondering.

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Checked the manual, it says that a unit CAN retreat with an 'A-move' as it were. Was this changed then at some point? I also remember units being able to retreat several times in one turn before, which seems to not be the case anymore (now they just get cornered if they try to retreat a second time it seems.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 am

Hmm... Mistake in the manual or I myself have misunderstood something. I'll ask Tom and clear it up today lest I spread misinformation :? . Regardless there does seem to be a bug with the retreat/cornered mechanic in some cases for armor.

Well done on the victory! 8-)

Cheers

EDIT: It is indeed a mistake in the manual. Currently the rules are as follows for retreat: "not allowed if movement required is: 3, A or X.". We are considering narrowing this down to just A and X.

Silvere
Newcomer

Unread postby Silvere » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Since the update an hour ago, I'm getting a crash when trying to load Wacht am Rhein. Can't bring up an old save or start a new one. Also, HQ level-up seems to crash fairly often, but perhaps this is already fixed! :)

Regarding the retreat rules, I've noticed that the forward armor in the forest above Luxembourg will always be cornered, even though it would seem to have a road route open. And there's an additional puzzling behavior going on with roaded forests (weather active) that might shed some some light on this. It seems that HQs and 3step stragglers are nullifying road/rail functionality for the purposes of movement but not for recon in force. I don't remember this being the case in the past (i.e. the roads used to remain usable), but In practical terms this means the tile is A for movement, 3 for recon. Perhaps these instances of curious road functionality are related?

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:51 am

Going for "no retreat on A or X" and letting people run on 3 is probably smart. Also, I've noticed that rearguard corners the unit attempting it if it can't retreat which Im pretty sure is not supposed to happen. Saw one of my panzers who I put on rearguard get suppressive fire'd at and then promptly cornered himself (even though he had a safe space he could have retreated to just 2 MP away, but that is probably the bug you mentioned).

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:15 am

@Silvere and Adronio

RE: Units getting cornered
Yea, this is indeed the bug (units getting cornered even while having enough space to retreat into). I think the issue is that they are not taking roads into account. Regardless, it's being fixed.

RE: Crash upon loading Wacht am Rhein
The guys are looking into it - thanks for reporting! :)

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I think Wacht am Rhein is a top five scenario for me so far, nice work!:)

Danielefc wrote:As you have all probably gathered the Germans play differently than the Allies. They are more reliant on recon in force and feint attacks... combined with pure "brute force".

Never upgraded to recon in force in the campaigns so I need to experiment with that ability.

Failed once on classic then pushed through Bastogne on my second try and took Marche on turn 7 after first clearing Luxembourg. Then played on hard and figured that taking Luxembourg would be too costly so I settled for Bastogne as my supply hub and took Marche on turn 5 and then just established a defensive position. Didn't get a decisive victory on either try.

Going to try a Liege route now, seems harder...

juoc
Major

Unread postby juoc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:22 pm

juoc wrote:Going to try a Liege route now, seems harder...

No, I didn't. Managed to get Marche on turn 2 then swung north and took Antwerpen on turn 6, classic difficulty.