Nonassignable reserves + Monty still spooks at 8th BR Army HQ

Ask, comment, read.
Sixthe9th
Captain

Nonassignable reserves + Monty still spooks at 8th BR Army HQ

Unread postby Sixthe9th » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:02 am

Hi,

1. Not sure if this is a bug or some intricacy hidden deep in the manual, but I have problem in general with how rreserves from HQ pool of forces are handled. I am at the gates of Rhine now, but until this moment I have been meeting one inexplicable feature to me - HQ of army would have reserves for inf. or arm., but when I click to assign to active units even during deployment phase I cannot often use all of the reserves at my disposal despite needed direly. So for instance I have two Canadian divisions with about 30% of their original strength during deployment and the HQ has 3 Can. inf. steps to assign , but when I click on it I am greeted by Yellow notification prompt telling me: HQ Deploy press Esc to exit. Can someone explain why?

2. Also in general I have trouble to find out when HQ receive reserves. Sometimes the reserves are appearing only division wise, so they are not taken from the HQ pool which is even more confusing. It would surely help to receive notifications at the start of the turn that reserves are available for that and this unit, instead of the necessity of checking each and every unit separately.

3. I am glad you ve looked into dynamically assigning Army commanders contextually according history, but you have still not managed to achieve complete victory here. Despite Monty not being at the helm of 8th Army in 1944 on the battlefield map, he still sits there according the Strategic HQ map still in 1945.

4. UI suggestion - often the name of the victory location or obscures completely the unit standing on the hex making it unclear what is its strength etc without clicking on it. I'd prefer if that name label can become transparent perhaps optionally when hovering over it with cursor.

Six

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Nonassignable reserves + Monty still spooks at 8th BR Army HQ

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Sixthe9th wrote:when I click to assign to active units even during deployment phase I cannot often use all of the reserves at my disposal

If you attach your west.usg we'll take a look (THIS POST explains how to find it).

It could be a bug or it could be something that needs more explaining.

Sixthe9th wrote:Sometimes the reserves are appearing only division wise

When you click on the HQ itself, the HQ UI will be "brass colored" and then it will show you all reserves the HQ has. On the other hande, when you click on a unit, the HQ UI will be "black colored" and then it will show you only those reserves that can be deployed to the selected unit.

Section 3.7 of the manual "Reinforcements" explains this in depth.

Sixthe9th
Captain

Unread postby Sixthe9th » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:41 pm

reserves.png
Tomislav Uzelac wrote:
Sixthe9th wrote:when I click to assign to active units even during deployment phase I cannot often use all of the reserves at my disposal

If you attach your west.usg we'll take a look (THIS POST explains how to find it).

It could be a bug or it could be something that needs more explaining.

Sixthe9th wrote:Sometimes the reserves are appearing only division wise

When you click on the HQ itself, the HQ UI will be "brass colored" and then it will show you all reserves the HQ has. On the other hande, when you click on a unit, the HQ UI will be "black colored" and then it will show you only those reserves that can be deployed to the selected unit.

Section 3.7 of the manual "Reinforcements" explains this in depth.

Ok, done, I also added a picture explaining exactly what I mean - In this instance of a deployment phase HQ of 9th Army has 10 armor reserves and despite tank units around are under strength, game won't let me assign them. It happens a lot both in deployment and during actual battle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:26 pm

I checked it out: there are 10 "armor equipment" in the 9th Army force pool, but no infantry. You need 1x infantry + 2x armor equipment to create an armor step, as shown in this tooltip (visible when you are in the reorg menu):

uoc2_screenshot_0002.png

Regarding the game in question: if you reorg a few infantry from one of your infantry units, you will have infantry in the force pool and you will be able to create armor steps (1x infantry + 2x armor equipment).

The manual, section 3.7 Reinforcements, goes into a bit more detail, it might be worth checking it out.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixthe9th
Captain

Unread postby Sixthe9th » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Ah! That would never occur to me that this the problem :0 I wish this essential information was already part of tutorial as I was sure it was a bug :)) Thanks for clarification.

Another thing, which I have noticed on this very scenario is the disproportionate representation of Cologne and Dusseldorf also designated Ruhr (which stand for the whole region). Dusseldorf is a huge city whilst Cologne looks like a small town or a large village on the map despite being almost twice of the size of the former city. Is that intentional?

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm

I get what you're saying, though Cologne is still two city hexes, so in game terms it's nothing to scoff at.

Re: other cities, we intentionally made the Ruhr area a solid wall of city hexes, but we only placed the labels for a few of them, lest the map gets too cluttered. So you have cities like e.g. Wuppertal (directly to the east of Duesseldorf) that are represented correctly as city hexes, but their names don't show as map labels.

Cheers!