Bug on unit retreat

Ask, comment, read.
Ryan
Colonel

Bug on unit retreat

Unread postby Ryan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 am

I feel like sometimes units don't retreat and gets cornered even when a hex is available. My screen shot shows that HG division not been able to retreat to the hex next to it. Does weather, the status of unit (weak/non-weak), or presence of road affect the number of moves? I should be able to retreat 5 hexes.

Also I noticed that a unit with rear-guard command retreats with more moves, and what's the formula behind it? I searched the manual there's nothing about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Bug on unit retreat

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:52 am

Hi, you seem to have found an issue in the manual, thx for reporting!

The rule, as spelled out in the design doc and implemented in the game is:

• retreating unit uses all of its normal move points in one retreat if not 3+ turns out-of-supply, otherwise it uses 1 point less (analog to normal movement rule)
  • retreating unit may not enter hexes where movement cost is 3, A, or X

In this case, the movement cost for a mobile unit to enter the muddy swamp hex immediately behind it is "A", which means it can't retreat there.

However, the manual did not reflect these new rules. I have made the change and it will be visible in the Revision 5 of the manual.

Ryan
Colonel

Re: Bug on unit retreat

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:53 am

Oh, that makes sense.
However, after a few hundred hours into the game, I will suggest that units should retreat for a longer distance, so they don't frequently get cornered and destroyed easily(I am referring to the AI here). For example, in Hurtgen, german infantry divisions stationed in the woods cannot retreat and they are wiped out one by one, which is not historically accurate.