AI has poor "destroy bridge" logic, easy exploits

Ask, comment, read.
funky_trader
Major

AI has poor "destroy bridge" logic, easy exploits

Unread postby funky_trader » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:19 pm

The more I replay scenarios, the easier it is to spot poor AI logic in edge cases. In the scenario Monte Cassino, the AI's supply lines are extremely vulnerable, as they all go through Rome before branching back out. Normally, this is too deep behind ennemy lines to do anything about it. But here, you can create havoc with the scenario's starting paratrooper, 504th US Airborne.

My initial strategy was to drop it on the hex right below Rome, thereby putting out of supplies all German units. However, the AI sees the problem and initiates a counterattack on its turn with all available units until the para is destroyed. Hence, I got few strategic benefits: a destroyed elite unit vs. a few German units out of position (and out of supply for 1 turn).

However, I tried an even more devious plan :twisted: . By landing the para right beside Rome, in between the two bridges leading north west, the AI completely panics on its turn. First, before even trying to counterattack, the AI blew up the last two bridges keeping its units supplied. In other words, seeing my "deep penetration", and trying to slow down my supposed advance, it sought to delay me by blowing some bridges up, with no regard to future supply issues or the actual threat that my unit generated. This isn't the first time that I've seen this issue, but it's definitely the most obvious yet. I can't say what the actual logic is behind the "destroy bridge" action. However, IMO, it seems that all it does is evaluate if there are any ennemy units in the area with no counterchecks for the strengh of the AI's current units in the area vs. my current units or how it would affect the supply picture. There's no way I can support this para. And there's definitely enough German units to counterattack and destroy it (plus they have an air attack). Perhaps the reaction is so severe because the AI's HQ (AOK 14) was right next to the para, with no units that could redeploy to protect it?

At any rate, the followup AI actions also lack sense. It wastes its air attack on some random units of mine. Then tries to counterattack with the panzergrenadier divisions in the area, but accross the river! So no armor shift, and a river downshift. My para successfully resisted 2 panzergrenadier attack, AND the Fallschirmjager attack in Rome (which didn't want to leave the city, likely due to the objective on it). If it hadn't destroyed the brigdes first, it would have been quite easy to send a panzergrenadier on the other side of Rome's river to destroy or at least soften up the para.

Start of second turn
uoc2 para exploits.png

On my turn, I used the air supply action, and pulled it back behind the second river. Then, on the AI's turn, it continued into nonsense by not sending any units at all to destroy the two step para. It seems that it froze all units arround Rome? I remember in UOC 1, one of the AI trigger on objectives forced any unit on it to stay there, no matter the situation. However, you could also force any units in the surrounding hexes to stay there as well, if that option was checked. I'm betting that's what may have happened: all units around Rome had to stay there, and no other units could reach the para. Therefore, the AI could do nothing about that two step unit on its last supply route.

Start of third turn
uoc2 para exploits 2.png

Overall, the AI's use of "destroy bridge" leaves much to be desired. Here are some issues that I've seen, alone or combined
  1. A lone unit advancing by itself triggers massive bridge demolition, despite the AI having enough units in the area to stop it/destroy it
  2. The AI blows up the bridge before retreating its units
  3. The AI blows up bridges without regard for future supply situations
  4. The AI blows up the bridge while the HQ is on the wrong side of the river
  5. The AI becomes trigger happy after you've built a few pontoons (nice exploit to distact it from blowing up the bridges that matter)
  6. The AI blocks its attacks/counterattacks by blowing up bridges

Just letting you guys know for future improvements :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

funky_trader
Major

Re: AI has poor "destroy bridge" logic, easy exploits

Unread postby funky_trader » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Same problem (para drop, brrdges with supply lines blown up), worse outcome: the AI actually destroys the paratrooper, but doesn't move in to capture the hex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.