Eastern Front & other theatres

Ask, comment, read.
frontovika
Captain

Eastern Front & other theatres

Unread postby frontovika » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Hello. is it confirmed that the Eastern Front will be featured in UoC II? is it a possibility or did the devs confirm it as a certainty? Hopefully the Pacific or Asian theatres would be a possibility in the future.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Re: Eastern Front & other theatres

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 am

We're definitely looking to cover the Eastern Front. We haven't started working on DLC yet, so I can't make promises regarding dates.

This game system is not very well suited for the Pacific theater, so I doubt we will covering it.

frontovika
Captain

Unread postby frontovika » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:09 pm

That's good to know! I'd imagine it's not quite as simple to port UoC1 scenarios directly to the UoC2 engine?

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

frontovika wrote:That's good to know! I'd imagine it's not quite as simple to port UoC1 scenarios directly to the UoC2 engine?

From having to rebalance all of the scenarios, creating two new campaigns with their own 'what-if's' and actually creating the maps in the new engine instead of just using tiles, I'd imagine it could take quite a bit.

HappyDaze
Captain

Unread postby HappyDaze » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 am

Adronio wrote:
frontovika wrote:That's good to know! I'd imagine it's not quite as simple to port UoC1 scenarios directly to the UoC2 engine?

From having to rebalance all of the scenarios, creating two new campaigns with their own 'what-if's' and actually creating the maps in the new engine instead of just using tiles, I'd imagine it could take quite a bit.

From what has been said by the developers over the last couple of years, UoC II was designed from the ground up to incorporate an entirely new engine. As a result, it would be easier to design totally new scenarios, although on the same historic topics is certainly possible. So yes, lots and lots of work involved.

Happy

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Unread postby genBrooks » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:16 am

So, there will be 3 main campaigns:
- US/Commonwealth (Tunisia 43-Elbe 45)
- German (Poland 39-Baku/Kuybyshev 42/43?)
- Soviet (Stalingrad 42-Berlin/Manchuria 45?)

Will you plan some additional content for that, eg. Allies in North Africa (Compas 40-Kasserine 43) or Axis in North Africa (and Middle East ;) ), and maybe war in China and Burma ?

kvnrthr
Captain

Unread postby kvnrthr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 am

Although Pacific war ground combat (islands etc) don't seem too suited, it could be interesting to see a Manchuria scenario either as a standalone or as part of a Soviet campaign. This fighting was closer to a "traditional" European West/East Front battle with wide open spaces and maneuver aplenty. Would be a nice little anticlimax as the Japanese historically could not really disrupt the Soviet plans, but a nice little goodbye for your army.

frontovika
Captain

Unread postby frontovika » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:09 pm

kvnrthr wrote:Although Pacific war ground combat (islands etc) don't seem too suited, it could be interesting to see a Manchuria scenario either as a standalone or as part of a Soviet campaign. This fighting was closer to a "traditional" European West/East Front battle with wide open spaces and maneuver aplenty. Would be a nice little anticlimax as the Japanese historically could not really disrupt the Soviet plans, but a nice little goodbye for your army.

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. It would be an interesting epilogue campaign from the Soviet side; and in the grand narrative of WW2 as the final military campaign of the war. I think Manchuria would be a tad easier for the game engine to simulate, surely? I don't think the theatre has ever been covered in any computer game.

sourdust
Brigadier General

Unread postby sourdust » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:12 am

Always good to dream, and I think UoCII is very well suited to CBI theatre and the Sino-Japanese war... but remember map development is a huge task for a game like this, and there is no Asia map at present. I can't see devs doing this, so it is up to some obsessed user (student or retiree, I suppose) to put in a few hundred hours doing an Asia map.

malkavian54
Major

Unread postby malkavian54 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Manchuria was the culmination of a hard road for the soviet army, so it should be in, especially because of the sheer scale of the campaign, it would make a great last scenario.