Naval Defensive Gunfire - What does it do?

Ask, comment, read.
Ritalingamer
Colonel

Naval Defensive Gunfire - What does it do?

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:15 pm

I've seen NDG in action in some scenarios, but what does it actually do, mechanically? It doesn't seem as powerful as normal naval bombardments and there's no entry in the manual or tooltip yet.

JBerg2021
Captain

Re: Naval Defensive Gunfire - What does it do?

Unread postby JBerg2021 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:12 am

I actually just played an "Avalanche" scenario hotseat to see if I could figure out the effect. Naval Defensive Fire provides a 3 step artillery adjustment to a unit within its range, supposedly benefiting the landing unit from any enemy attacks. However, I think there are some issues with the Naval Landing mechanic.

First, I'm not entirely certain I understand the shift mechanic for casualties. I think this is working right, but I can't tell from a quick examination.

Second, units that land in a Naval Landing are (according to the manual) supposed to still have "tow-suppressed" effects for towed spt battalions (AT and Arty) - so they are supposed to be active at the start of the enemy turn. However, when I was playing the hotseat, I noticed that none of the Allied units I'd landed had active AT or Arty when I took the German turn. There was no benefit from those towed equipment, and all the Allied units had was the Naval Defensive Fire bonus - so the attacking panzers still had a +4 armor shift that more than negated the -3 Naval Fire shift.

Third, I noticed a strange effect from the Naval Defensive fire that I can't tell whether it's supposed to be on purpose - at the end of the combat, the Allied unit was completely suppressed, but the German Panzer was fine. To be clear, this resulted in 4 remaining steps being suppressed. I'm starting to suspect that Naval Defensive Fire will suppress the unit *within* the hex it is defending, rather than any unit attacking into that hex. Like I said, I can't tell if this is purposeful or not, but it would be great to have some clarification.

I think the Devs may want to take another look at the Naval Landing mechanics to make sure everything is working the way they intend. Maybe they are, but I'm somewhat surprised when, on Avalanche, I frequently lose at least one, and often lose both American Infantry units that land in the beachhead.

kvnrthr
Captain

Unread postby kvnrthr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:40 am

Yeah I never land the full Allied force in Italy, only the ones that can get in a forest or city. The tanks are almost guaranteed to wipe you out.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 am

JBerg2021 wrote:units that land in a Naval Landing are (according to the manual) supposed to still have "tow-suppressed" effects for towed spt battalions (AT and Arty) - so they are supposed to be active at the start of the enemy turn. However, when I was playing the hotseat, I noticed that none of the Allied units I'd landed had active AT or Arty when I took the German turn.

This is a bug, we looked into it and found two related issues with tow-suppression. It's probably too late for today's update, but the fix will go out in the one after that.

Thanks for reporting!

Adronio
Colonel

Unread postby Adronio » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:45 pm

JBerg2021 wrote:Third, I noticed a strange effect from the Naval Defensive fire that I can't tell whether it's supposed to be on purpose - at the end of the combat, the Allied unit was completely suppressed, but the German Panzer was fine. To be clear, this resulted in 4 remaining steps being suppressed.

Your unit got 'Cornered', which means it tried to retreat, but had no valid tile to retreat to. When that happens all remaining steps get suppressed.