Commanders issue

Ask, comment, read.
genBrooks
Brigadier General

Commanders issue

Unread postby genBrooks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Changes to the positions of army commanders in the Allied forces were not included.
The case concerns:
1st US Army, where General Omar Bradley is shown as the commander throughout the entire game, while he commanded the army until the end of July 1944, when he was promoted and became the commander of the 12th US Army Group. General Courtney Hodges became the next commander of the 1st US Army and remained until the end of the war.
8th British Army in Italy, which in 1943-45 had 3 commanders. General Bernard Montgomery commanded it from El Alamein, in Tunisia, Sicily and Italy until the end of 1943. At the end of 1943, General Montgomery was transferred to Britain to begin preparations for Operation Overlord. Command of the Eighth Army was given to General Oliver Leese. During October 1944, Leese was reassigned to South East Asia Command, and General Richard McCreery replaced him.
I hope it won't be a big problem to make these changes, so that new names will appear as commanders :?: 8-)

20191202175529_1.jpg

20191202175537_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Re: Commanders issue

Unread postby Danielefc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Yea, this is a known issue and we are fixing it. The generals are correct in the standalone scenarios, but not in the campaign as there is a bug that makes them "stick" to their original armies.
Oh - and I had forgotten about Leese being replaced with McCreery in late war Italy - this is also being corrected.

Cheers :)

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

This topic reminds me of something I wanted to ask - some of the armies seemingly change names. Can we get a chart or list showing which army gets renamed as what and which ones don't reappear?
Does British First Army from the Tunisian scenarios ever reappear?

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Unread postby genBrooks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Ritalingamer wrote:This topic reminds me of something I wanted to ask - some of the armies seemingly change names. Can we get a chart or list showing which army gets renamed as what and which ones don't reappear?

2nd US Corps (Gen Patton) in Tunisia reappeared/changed to 7th Army (Gen Patton) in Sicily and next to 5th Army (Gen Clark) in Italy I suppose, because 7th and then 5th Army inherits skills from 2nd Corps and between each other. But I suppose that 7th Army (Gen Patch) in northern Europe didn't take over statistics after the Patton's 7th Army from Sicily
Thats all when it comes to HQs reappearing IMHO ;)
Last edited by genBrooks on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

genBrooks
Brigadier General

Unread postby genBrooks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Danielefc wrote:Yea, this is a known issue and we are fixing it. The generals are correct in the standalone scenarios, but not in the campaign as there is a bug that makes them "stick" to their original armies.
Oh - and I had forgotten about Leese being replaced with McCreery in late war Italy - this is also being corrected.

Cheers :)

Ok, but we also forgot about 5th Army, too :oops: :lol:
General Mark Clark moved to command 15th Army Group (chief of all Allied troops in Italy), and General Lucian Truscott was appointed to command Fifth Army in his place. Truscott would command the Army from 16 December 1944 until the war's end. ;)

Danielefc
2x2 Games

Unread postby Danielefc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 am

Ritalingamer wrote:This topic reminds me of something I wanted to ask - some of the armies seemingly change names. Can we get a chart or list showing which army gets renamed as what and which ones don't reappear?

US. II. Corps --> US 7th Army --> US 5th Army

Armée B --> 1st Free French

British 1. Army --> dead end

That's it for special cases :)

genBrooks wrote:Ok, but we also forgot about 5th Army, too :oops: :lol:
General Mark Clark moved to command 15th Army Group (chief of all Allied troops in Italy), and General Lucian Truscott was appointed to command Fifth Army in his place. Truscott would command the Army from 16 December 1944 until the war's end. ;)

Just checking you're all awake :oops: :oops:

JBerg2021
Captain

Unread postby JBerg2021 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 am

There's a version of this game (which is probably a bit overcome by events now, since the base has been designed), where Prestige could be used to upgrade or change which commanders are in charge of your armies. For instance, more prestige can buy you a more skilled commander.

But in the meantime, straightening out the Commander name change is a good start. I would say that it feels like it makes more sense for 7th Army in Sicily to be inherited by Patton's Third Army in Europe, but a different thread pointed out that the Mediterranean and European theaters are essentially boxed, so I'm guessing having a European Army inherit a Mediterranean army's levels wouldn't be possible. :?

Ah well. At least if there's ever a Pacific Campaign, that will be easy to track.