Battle of Tali-Ihantala [community scenario]

Ask, comment, read.
trigger01
Second Lieutenant

Battle of Tali-Ihantala [community scenario]

Unread postby trigger01 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:09 pm

There doesn't seem to be a forum for custom scenario so I'll post here, feel free to move the thread if one is created!

So the past day I've been creating a small scenario where you play as the Finns versus the Soviets in the ending chapters of the Continuation War. I've tried to get the units and situation as historically accurate as possible. It's been hard to make the AI launch a proper offensive but I've sort of got it down, more information on AI hints would be appreciated. The Karelian Isthmus seems to be the only place in Finland where the devs have worked on the landscape which is unfortunate since I'd like to do scenarios covering more of this often forgotten war, and the maps doesn't seem to be moddable currently.

I had to make the Sovets part of the Allied faction as otherwise the game will crash when they launch air strikes. They don't have the necessary models and copying them from the other factions doesn't help so they seem to be hard-coded as I haven't found any files where I change this for the Soviet faction.

The scenario can be found on the workshop here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1919223979
Try holding out until turn 6, would love to hear all of your feedback.

Situation
After lifting the Siege of Leningrad in january, the Stavka started planning an offensive against Finland to end the war on the northern front. Coordinated with the Invasion of Normandy three Soviet armies breached the Finnish front line on the Karelian Isthmus. The defenders retreated to the second line of defence, the Vammelssu-Taipele line; but this too was breached on June 14 and the defenders pulled back to the Viipuri-Kuparsaari-Taipale line. On June 20 the city of Viipuri fell to the Soviets and the battle now continues around the villages of Tali and Ihantala. If the Soviets manage to reach lake Saimaa the Finnish Army will effectively be cut in half and the road to Helsinki will lay wide-open.

Dispatch
Our troops are in disarray after the last month of fighting. The 6th and 11th Divisions are enroute from the Maaselkä Isthmus and will be ariving from the northeast on June 27 onwards. On the request of Marshal Mannerheim the Germans have agreed to send us a flight detachment of dive bombers and a brigade of assault guns, use them well. The lock of Finland must be kept closed at any price.

Information
Nations: Finland versus Soviet
Date: june 25 to july 9, 1944
Goal: Hold Lake Saimaa until turn 6. Bonus objectives ingame.
Difficulty: medium
Size: small
Turns: 6

funky_trader
Major

Re: Battle of Tali-Ihantala [community scenario]

Unread postby funky_trader » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:19 pm

Tried it out, pretty interesting and tough. But I couldn't finish it as I got this bug (see pic)

Keep them coming!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trigger01
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby trigger01 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:10 pm

funky_trader wrote:Tried it out, pretty interesting and tough. But I couldn't finish it as I got this bug (see pic)

Keep them coming!

Hey, thanks for trying it out!
About which turn did you get this error? Could you send me the log file?

spartiate217
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby spartiate217 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank you it's a nice scenario.
Congratulations I have no idea how you did it.I tried in every way and I am unable to do anything with the editor.
And the only way to launch a map was to copy the UV comma from another topic.
It's very frustrating because I have a lot of ideas too, and i can't make them.

funky_trader
Major

Unread postby funky_trader » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 am

trigger01 wrote:
funky_trader wrote:Tried it out, pretty interesting and tough. But I couldn't finish it as I got this bug (see pic)

Keep them coming!

Sure, here it is attached. I think it was turn 2?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trigger01
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby trigger01 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Scenario has been updated with much appreciated Soviet artwork from the developers. More info and download in the steam community link.

Note for other modders: Soviets can now be used as a faction with their own airstrike cards as previously the game would crash when attempting to mod them in.

I’m hoping that developers will be adding terrain detail in the rest of Finland allowing more scenarios in this area now that proper Soviet units are available :D

trigger01
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby trigger01 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:02 pm

funky_trader wrote:
trigger01 wrote:

Keep them coming!

Sure, here it is attached. I think it was turn 2?

Thanks for the help, unfortunately it seems like the log is from a scenario with US units and not this one. However, I managed to fix a crash connected to Soviet resupply which might have been it, feel free to try the new version with the beta branch.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:55 am

trigger01 wrote:I’m hoping that developers will be adding terrain detail in the rest of Finland allowing more scenarios in this area now that proper Soviet units are available

We will be adding terrain to the map gradually, as needed for the DLCs.

Importantly, all changes to the main map (europe_10) are considered to be in the base game, not DLC. When we add terrain in some area, it will become available to all players and modders.

trigger01
Second Lieutenant

Unread postby trigger01 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:
trigger01 wrote:I’m hoping that developers will be adding terrain detail in the rest of Finland allowing more scenarios in this area now that proper Soviet units are available

We will be adding terrain to the map gradually, as needed for the DLCs.

Importantly, all changes to the main map (europe_10) are considered to be in the base game, not DLC. When we add terrain in some area, it will become available to all players and modders.

That's good news! Keep up the great work :)