Can't land commandos in Market Garden?

Ask, comment, read.
Shimbo
Colonel

Can't land commandos in Market Garden?

Unread postby Shimbo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 am

I had a cunning plan to beat the Market Garden scenario: I'd use my "commando landing" card to capture the Zuidersee objective, which is on the coast.

But the game won't let me.

Is this deliberate? Clearly there is a coastline in that scenario so, to my way of thinking, I should be able to make a seaborne landing.

Am I missing something?

Ritalingamer
Colonel

Re: Can't land commandos in Market Garden?

Unread postby Ritalingamer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:44 pm

I wanted to try that, too. I don't know if it's a bug or oversight or deliberate choice.

Rommel
Brigadier General

Unread postby Rommel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm

It should be deliberate. There was no naval support during MG, which made any amphibious landing impossible.

Articwulf
Captain

Unread postby Articwulf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Rommel wrote:It should be deliberate. There was no naval support during MG, which made any amphibious landing impossible.

Yeah but, alternate history is allowed in UoC1/2. If they have the card then it should be allowed.

I mean historically the allies lost market garden, so winning isn't allowed?

Shimbo
Colonel

Unread postby Shimbo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Rommel wrote:It should be deliberate. There was no naval support during MG, which made any amphibious landing impossible.

They only landed three airborne divisions (and the Polish brigade) IRL, but with the right cards in UoC2 you could land six, which would also have been impossible.

The fact is there's a coastline there and you can't land on it, which seems odd. If it's a deliberate choice then fair enough, but it might just be an oversight, which is why I raised it (good little tester that I am :) )

Rommel
Brigadier General

Unread postby Rommel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Fair point. Perhaps there is a fort on the coast. Which should make landing difficult.

I do not know, maybe it can be considered by the devs for a fix. I personally, never had that card for MG.

Tomislav Uzelac
2x2 Games

Unread postby Tomislav Uzelac » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm

It should be the lack of a "beach" hexside that's preventing it.

Just made a note to myself to make the requirement clear in the cards chapter of the manual.

Cheers!

Spaceman95
Major General

Unread postby Spaceman95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Tomislav Uzelac wrote:It should be the lack of a "beach" hexside that's preventing it.

Just made a note to myself to make the requirement clear in the cards chapter of the manual.

Cheers!

Well, landing commandos from canals is a different thing to assaulting a beach, for sure. It was a good plan, OP; but the cards do specifically say 'land from sea hexes', IIRC.

Tom, whilst we are on the subject, for some reason it isn't possible to use Commandos/RCT on the Istrian Peninsula. I am not sure if this is a N hex rule, or not, but it caused me problems. I have saved Polish Paras and an RCT. The Paras could land (up to 5, not 6, hexes from the front line), and get the objective, but the planned shore assault to support them could not happen - I could only land on most hexes in Italy...

Shimbo
Colonel

Unread postby Shimbo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:50 am

Spaceman95 wrote:Well, landing commandos from canals is a different thing to assaulting a beach, for sure. It was a good plan, OP; but the cards do specifically say 'land from sea hexes', IIRC.

The Zuidersee isn't a canal though? It's part of the North Sea. I mean the bit of sea right at the top of the Market Garden map.

I mean, I know it's not very realistic to make a commando landing there, but it's not realistic to land six airborne divisions either, which you can do (three from the scenario and three from cards).

malkavian54
Major

Unread postby malkavian54 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 pm

The Zuidersea is a internal water, that was seperated from the North Sea by a chain of islands. From what I can tell Texel f.e. had an battailion of troops, fortifications and several batteries.